• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these flat Behr paint jobs look great, but how does it touch up down the road? And then if and when you DO need another repaint in the future, can you sand it down and paint again or are you stuck bead blasting the truck back down to what was under the Behr to paint again? It’s a 100% acrylic which we use on commercial buildings with good success but would never have thought to put it on a truck. It handles weather obviously as a house paint but wonder how abrasion resistant it is, or how it appears after bugs, bird droppings, etc. Some guys are recommending an industrial polyurethane but wouldn’t think you’d ever get a proper color match on that down the road when you need to paint repairs or new accessories. Have also seen the American Coatings down here in Texas from eBay which look good, but not a fan of how Rapco looks. Just weighing all options before going back solid flat green on our M1123. If anyone in DFW has a Behr painted truck, would be curious to see in person. Thanks!
I've painted probably two dozen trucks and countless M1101/M1102 trailers with Behr Marquee Exterior Flat. My oldest truck is going on 5 years now and looks new still. Touchups are fine and seem to blend well unlike rattle can touch ups. I plan to paint a deuce this week if I get the time and I'm in Euless.

Gunfreak25

As someone who’s used behr flat for a few trucks over the years and loved it, how does the semi gloss cure? I feel like it would always be softer paint but I could be wrong. I would love to paint my 65 Kaiser soon in semi gloss Gillespie, but it fades very quickly in the desert. I think semi gloss behr would hold up longer to fading.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted probably two dozen trucks and countless M1101/M1102 trailers with Behr Marquee Exterior Flat. My oldest truck is going on 5 years now and looks new still. Touchups are fine and seem to blend well unlike rattle can touch ups. I plan to paint a deuce this week if I get the time and I'm in Euless.
#fuzzytoaster have you ever had to sand on any of your older Behr paint jobs? All the detractors talk about how much it would load up on discs and sand paper if and when you ever had to sand it. I've also heard reports of it cracking from the flex on fiberglass hoods on the HMMWV.

From what I hear the Gillespie/Rapco paint doesn't last terribly long and needs to be sanded and repainted every so many years too. I'm curious which one lasts longer. While I'd love to have someone like Steven Kavanaugh professionally paint my truck with real genuine Carc, I cant justify the trucking there and back from Texas, and can't find anyone around north Texas willing to do it.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#fuzzytoaster have you ever had to sand on any of your older Behr paint jobs? All the detractors talk about how much it would load up on discs and sand paper if and when you ever had to sand it. I've also heard reports of it cracking from the flex on fiberglass hoods on the HMMWV.

From what I hear the Gillespie/Rapco paint doesn't last terribly long and needs to be sanded and repainted every so many years too. I'm curious which one lasts longer. While I'd love to have someone like Steven Kavanaugh professionally paint my truck with real genuine Carc, I cant justify the trucking there and back from Texas, and can't find anyone around north Texas willing to do it.
I've not had to sand Behr before but I'd imagine it would as it's a latex base. That being said, there is some flexibility to the paint as it's meant for housing panels that will expand and move with temp, wind, etc so it should hold up to HMMWV hoods. I painted my previous M1123 with 383 green and it seemed fine until it threw a rod. Maybe that's what killed my engine. :ROFLMAO:

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question again for the Behr paint guys… how does it hold up to bird droppings, hand prints, hand oils, etc.? I’ve seen some older Rapco jobs recently that worried me in those departments. Is it still an issue with Behr too since it’s flat? Or will the oils and stains come off? Can’t imagine you can use anything more than soap and water?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As someone who’s used behr flat for a few trucks over the years and loved it, how does the semi gloss cure? I feel like it would always be softer paint but I could be wrong. I would love to paint my 65 Kaiser soon in semi gloss Gillespie, but it fades very quickly in the desert. I think semi gloss behr would hold up longer to fading.
Have you thought of a satin finish? I have done M923 and a couple trailers satin and it’s super sharp!

MattNC

Question again for the Behr paint guys… how does it hold up to bird droppings, hand prints, hand oils, etc.? I’ve seen some older Rapco jobs recently that worried me in those departments. Is it still an issue with Behr too since it’s flat? Or will the oils and stains come off? Can’t imagine you can use anything more than soap and water?
Ive had no issues getting multitudes of bird droppings off with just normal water a d car wash soap and even pine sap off using automotive sap remover. I had a cv boot go and spray grease all over including onto areas painted and it too came off with a few rounds of detergent.
With a few times I’ve damaged the paint it is so easy to touch up, it’s just house paint. I have a partial can and some brushes and you just blend it in.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started using Behr in 2016, so, 5.5 years. Not sure I can say it’s like new without touching up to see the difference, but it has no appearance of fading.

It does depend on what you spray. CARC has a heavier more adhesive surface and holds the paint extremely well. But even M1101 or 101 trailers hood the paint exceptionally well.

I test painted a sheet of 18 ga steel. No prep, didn’t clean it (wasn’t very oily or dirty). You couldn’t scrape the paint off once it cured.

All finishes will fade. There has been no staining issues I have seen from using the Behr paint.

I’m also super impressed with its ability to protect and repair canvas covers. If you have a cover that is starting to show some white or wear on it, paint it.

If you have a tear or the tarp has gone to threads, paint a piece of bedsheet as a patch (paint both sides smooth on and then roll a couple layers to blend in. It’s durability is amazing and it blends well. I have yet to have a patch come off or tear.

I see no benefit to Rapco, especially considering the cost difference.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive had no issues getting multitudes of bird droppings off with just normal water a d car wash soap and even pine sap off using automotive sap remover. I had a cv boot go and spray grease all over including onto areas painted and it too came off with a few rounds of detergent.
With a few times I’ve damaged the paint it is so easy to touch up, it’s just house paint. I have a partial can and some brushes and you just blend it in.
That’s encouraging news, thank you!

Terra1936

I started using Behr in 2016, so, 5.5 years. Not sure I can say it’s like new without touching up to see the difference, but it has no appearance of fading.

It does depend on what you spray. CARC has a heavier more adhesive surface and holds the paint extremely well. But even M1101 or 101 trailers hood the paint exceptionally well.

I test painted a sheet of 18 ga steel. No prep, didn’t clean it (wasn’t very oily or dirty). You couldn’t scrape the paint off once it cured.

All finishes will fade. There has been no staining issues I have seen from using the Behr paint.

I’m also super impressed with its ability to protect and repair canvas covers. If you have a cover that is starting to show some white or wear on it, paint it.

If you have a tear or the tarp has gone to threads, paint a piece of bedsheet as a patch (paint both sides smooth on and then roll a couple layers to blend in. It’s durability is amazing and it blends well. I have yet to have a patch come off or tear.

I see no benefit to Rapco, especially considering the cost difference.
When it comes to cost, Behr wins hands down! Easy clean up, Easy application, Easy touch up. No shipping, Only downside is the 30 day cure! I can live with that. I get tons of compliments! Will be starting on vehicle number seven in a couple of weeks.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought of a satin finish? I have done M923 and a couple trailers satin and it’s super sharp!
You’ve used the Behr in Satin? Did it harden up as well as the flat?
When it comes to cost, Behr wins hands down! Easy clean up, Easy application, Easy touch up. No shipping, Only downside is the 30 day cure! I can live with that. I get tons of compliments! Will be starting on vehicle number seven in a couple of weeks.
I wasn’t so much worried about cost because I actually already bought the Rapco paint. After I bought it though, I started seeing reports of how oily hand prints and things like bird droppings and water spots can become permanent, and how shiny Rapco gets anywhere it’s touched or rubbed. With little kids around who can’t keep their hands off the truck as they walk by it, it really started making me wonder if it was the best choice. Still a little concerned about how you handle it say 6-10 years down the road if and when you need to repaint, since I hear it’s hard to sand, and even harder to blast off.

Terra1936

You’ve used the Behr in Satin? Did it harden up as well as the flat?

I wasn’t so much worried about cost because I actually already bought the Rapco paint. After I bought it though, I started seeing reports of how oily hand prints and things like bird droppings and water spots can become permanent, and how shiny Rapco gets anywhere it’s touched or rubbed. With little kids around who can’t keep their hands off the truck as they walk by it, it really started making me wonder if it was the best choice. Still a little concerned about how you handle it say 6-10 years down the road if and when you need to repaint, since I hear it’s hard to sand, and even harder to blast off.
Satin was just as hard after cure time. My trucks sit outside. If I get 10 years I will just respray. The Behr Premium Ultra has a primer mixed in. It only takes two days for two coats after the prep is done.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried using Rapco but their dribbling cans made me absolutely crazy… anyone know how long I would need to let it cure before I scuff it and cover it with Behr or similar acrylic latex?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tried using Rapco but their dribbling cans made me absolutely crazy… anyone know how long I would need to let it cure before I scuff it and cover it with Behr or similar acrylic latex?
Well, that is sad. They had fantastic spray nozzles. Each can came with two nozzles in the top. I read somewhere on this forum that their manufacturer either closed up shop or something similar. Supposedly they had a problem to start with, but that had been fixed. I haven't bought any for about 9 months - so I can't defend their current product.

Of course, I was spraying the side of my truck. Any drips would have gone into the grass. All I know is that my hand wasn't wet..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks