• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bell 47 Helicopter - Australia

Another Ahab

And then there was the young lady I once dated (years ago, and this is no BS) who used to be a metallurgist at Sikorsky (in CT).

She told me a story about the "Jesus Nut", and I can't remember what particular helicopter she was referring to. It was the nut that held the rotor blades onto the driveshaft (?, or whatever that shaft would be called: I confess I'm not an aviator). She said that it was completely UNNATURAL the stresses that one critical piece of metal would go through (between angular momentum, vibration, tensile forces, temperature changes, etc.). And that whenever they failed, well you can maybe figure out how that nut got its name. A whole lot of work and research went into getting that one piece of hardware right (alloy, casting, machining, etc). Who knew?

Last edited:

Stoner63

That would be the CH47 Chinook. Every flight requires both fuel tanks be full and the crew chief standing by with a 55 Gallon drum of Hydraulic fluid for in flight issues like controls.....

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And then there was the young lady I once dated (years ago, and this is no BS) who used to be a metallurgist at Sikorsky (in CT).

She told me a story about the "Jesus Nut", and I can't remember what particular helicopter she was referring to. It was the nut that held the rotor blades onto the driveshaft (?, or whatever that shaft would be called: I confess I'm not an aviator). She said that it was completely UNNATURAL the stresses that one critical piece of metal would go through (between angular momentum, vibration, tensile forces, temperature changes, etc.). And that whenever they failed, well you can maybe figure out how that nut got its name. A whole lot of work and research went into getting that one piece of hardware right (alloy, casting, machining, etc). Who knew?
The Sikorsky MH53 used the "Jesus Nut"

saddamsnightmare

December 25th, 2013.

Jesus Nut aside, It will take a brave man to fly one of those Bell -47's unless they have been well maintained. Our little helicopter was due to be replaced with a Bell Jet Ranger, but logic finally weighed in and the operating costs were excessive for a package freight (repair Parts) and passenger hauler, so it was replaced with an ex USAF Step Van..... Much cheaper on the surplus market and no expensive repairs to keep it driving!

Merry Christmas!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks