• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt driven turbo/ supercharger

jdeoliveira74

has anyone used a belt driven centrifigual supercharger looks like a turbo just belt driven. no oil lines no exhaust mods ???
trying to get some more horses for towing and fuel economy! and maybe some hummer wheels and tires
jon

Westech

CPL
A 6.2 wont take a lot of boost... it already has 22.5 to 1 compression. Boosting a 6.2 will net you around 30 HP before blowing up. A civy 6.5 turbo set up is the best (bolt on) if you really want to play that game. IF your looking for more power get a 6.5 Turbo civy engine and bolt her in. Or buy a new truck.

idM1028

Okay, the 6.2 and the 6.5's aren't the greatest engines in the world, but its surprising what you can do with them. Provided you need to put a bit of work into them (and $$$ for that matter) But try reading this:
6.5L Diesel Land Speed Truck, Bonneville Salt Flats, 6.5L Diesel
Just look at the speeds they talked about spinning the 6.2's up to (WITHOUT them flying apart) They actually DROVE this particular truck out to Bonneville. The tranny was programmed to kick into 4th gear at 100+ MPH so they just kept it in 3rd gear going down the highway. Impressive stuff.

spicergear

Neat article! Shame they don't show any pics of the engine with all it's speed goodies. I've been to 'The Salt' a couple of times and land speed raced 1,000cc motorcycle there. The Salt is cool, Wendover is an interesting little town! Met John Lingenfelter out there and the next day got to pick up parts of his car into the cold evening from a spin leading into a barrel role...his driver was okay. On a personal note from the article...I wouldn't walk across the street to say hello to Boyd Coddington-

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a Paxton supercharger mounted on a 6.2 installed in a 85 chevy monty carlo SS while at a car show. He told me he had to make his own mounting brackets. But that it worked quite well. He modified a set of humvee exaust headers by warming the pipes with a torch and bending them to clear the cars frame. Then ran 3 inch exaust that exited just before the rear tires. He didn't know the HP out put but said it would easily spin the tires. And claimed 28 MPG on the highway. That might be a idea?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, the 6.2 and the 6.5's aren't the greatest engines in the world, but its surprising what you can do with them. Provided you need to put a bit of work into them (and $$$ for that matter) But try reading this:
6.5L Diesel Land Speed Truck, Bonneville Salt Flats, 6.5L Diesel
Just look at the speeds they talked about spinning the 6.2's up to (WITHOUT them flying apart) They actually DROVE this particular truck out to Bonneville. The tranny was programmed to kick into 4th gear at 100+ MPH so they just kept it in 3rd gear going down the highway. Impressive stuff.

idM1028,

Yah left out the important part... FROM THE STORY ABOVE...

“It was when the 6.2 came out in ‘82 that we started to do some things with it and it was from that point, 1982, that I thought, ‘You know, we need to find a way to do a racer with a diesel.’ We built a 6.2 for drag racing and had a lot of fun with that. We learned that these engines possess a pretty decent bore-to-stroke ratio, rod length and block rigidity. We learned that we could spin one of these things to around as about 5300 RPM and it wouldn’t fly apart – and that was cool.”

idM1028

5300 rpm is huge but i am sure they did alot to that engine before doing that. head stud kits and pistons.
Read the article. Thats why I put links on here. For the engine in the article it was replacement pistons with a special coating, a partially filled block, and yes, a head stud kit (but thats probably more for the turbos and boost than anything) Not even a girdle kit on the bottom end. Just one of Bill's main stud kits. Of course, they also put a Scat crankshaft into it and a Fluidampr harmonic balancer. All pretty basic stuff I would do if I was building up a 6.5.