• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt routing. What am I doing wrong?

ragedracer

I'm in the middle of replacing the radiator, water pump, etc etc. I had to pull all the belts. I though I knew what I was doing, but something doesn't seem right. I put them back on just like in the TM (see attached pic) but it seems like the driver side alt belt is not aligned correctly. I have the PS pump routed on the first (closest to the block) groove on the crank and water pump pulley, and on the first groove of the PS pump. The Alternator on the outside groove of the PS pump and the center groove of the water pump and crank pulley. But it sure looks like the pulley of the alt would line up better where the PS pump is routed. It's getting dark, so I can't take pics. I don't remember it being like that when I took it apart, but I'm sure it's routed the same way. WTF am I doing wrong??????

Next question: I'm replacing all the vacuum lines to the transmission. I pulled them all off to take them to the parts store to get the right sizes. Now I can't remember which line goes to which on the solenoid part (front of the engine, near the IP). There's 2 lines. 1 from the transmission and 1 from the back of the motor. Does it matter which goes where?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

lavarok

left side of the diagram is the standard setup, right side is the M1010.

without photos of your engine, it is hard to say what you might be doing wrong.

ragedracer

Mine is set up like the left side. That's how it was when I took it all apart. I didn't remove the alternator on the drivers side, so I don't see what the issue is. The only thing I can think of is the water pump shaft is too long. I guess I'll measure that too. Only thing is, the PS pump belt lines up just right.

I'll put some up in the morning. New radiator should be ready tomorrow, so I want to get on this!

ragedracer

Well, it looks like it's the PS pump that's crooked. See the pic attached. I can't quite figure out how this happened. I know I didn't bend the PS bracket. It's definitely not broken. Maybe I need to add some washers or something where it attached to the water pump stud and the alternator bracket stud? I wonder if the casting on the new water pump is slightly different? Just a little thinner or something. It's bizarre, I know it wasn't like that when I took it out. But you can plainly see how canted it is.

Attachments

ragedracer

Well dangit, now I'm even more confused. I was searching the TM and found the pic below. It clearly shows that the bracket attaches to the alternator bracket with a bolt through the front. I have it reversed. The PS bracket sits behind the alternator bracket and the bolt comes in from the rear. If I installed it like the TM shows, it would be even more canted. WTF!!??????!!!!!!

Attachments

jimm1009

I can take a picture of my M1009 when I get home tonight but that is the best I can do since I'm already at work today.
PM or e-mail me your e-mail address after lunch time if you still need some help.
Perhaps in the mean time someone else can take a picture of a M1009 or M1008 engine to help.
Chinese blue prints are great!
jimm1009 here on s.s.

jimm1009@yahoo.com

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few of ideas. Not saying these are the issues but just something to check.

I have seen a couple of pullies for the water pump that would not "fully" seat on the water pump shaft. The shaft was slightly larger that the pully hole and wouln't allow it to seat correctly. A little filing to the pully hole and all was well.

Also the pump shaft may be slightly longer/shorter that the one you took off.

On the PS bracket, depending on the manufacturer of the pump itself, you may need a spacer for the bolt that is toward the passenger side. If the spacer (three to four washers), is required and isn't there the pully will not line up.

Attachments

ragedracer

A few of ideas. Not saying these are the issues but just something to check.

I have seen a couple of pullies for the water pump that would not "fully" seat on the water pump shaft. The shaft was slightly larger that the pully hole and wouln't allow it to seat correctly. A little filing to the pully hole and all was well.

Also the pump shaft may be slightly longer/shorter that the one you took off.

On the PS bracket, depending on the manufacturer of the pump itself, you may need a spacer for the bolt that is toward the passenger side. If the spacer (three to four washers), is required and isn't there the pully will not line up.
Pulley is fine on the water pump. I took some measurements off the old one and they are identical. If the pulley sat any farther back, it would rub on the pump. Also, notice that the water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley are in perfect alignment. It's the PS pump that's crooked. When it cools down a little this afternoon, I'm going pull all the brackets and everything off of the drivers side and see what's going on. Make sure everything is lined up right. I may end up needing a couple spacers. I wonder if I unknowingly dropped one when I was taking it apart? It's certainly possible.

ragedracer

Remember that when you tighten the PS pump down it should pull it back in line. That is, if it is mounted correctly.
I the pic I posted above the belts are tensioned. So it's not mounted correctly. LOL!

Also, can anyone take a quick look at their vacuum lines? On the solenoid or whatever it is on the IP, which line goes to which connection? One goes to the transmission, one goes to the vacuum pump. Maybe snap a quick pic?

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bottom one goes to the vacumm pump on the engine. The top one goes to the transmission.

ragedracer

Allright! I'm in business! I ended up added 2 washers to each stud in the head behind the alternator bracket, and then 2 washers behind a couple of the bolts on the PS pump. It's all lined up now!

Got my new radiator in (had them build me a 4 core, it's **** near twice as thick), everything's good except for a small leak from one of the oil lines. I think I just didn't have it cranked down enough. It was a very small leak, so just something to keep an eye on.

Sure am glad to have it back together!