• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt squeel.

Swede

When I start my 1028 in the mornings, to warm it up for work, i get this neighbor waking squeel (which I dont mind the neighbor thing) but it does worry me that there might be a prob. Any ideas. Thanks.

Swede

Somemedic

I dont remember the 1028's designation (shop truck I assume) but I'll bet its similar to all the other truck set ups. I'd venture a guess if u had popped the hood it comes from the driver sideand from the stupid dubbl pulley set up on the power steering pump. Get that tight and then get the driverside alt tight. I believe what happens (have same symptom on start up) is the main crank is rotating the belts and that since the power steering pump has 2 belts one is tight and grabbing and the other is a little loose and maybe dragging a bit and causing a squeeeel. If ya got nothing else spray the pulley with armor all or belt dressing (my batt. chief kept a squirt bottle filled with baby powder and would squirt a little into one of our fire trucks). What it amounts to is a quick fix for a loose belt. Tighten it up soon and have a new one on hand.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just had the same issue with mine. Turned out it was one of my alternators (generators) was getting ready to lock up and eventually did. From time of start to time that it actually locked up was about 2 weeks from the very first time to the demise. My gen light didn't come on because it was burned out. First indication I had was the squeeling stopped and the my lights started going dim, then the battery died when I tried to start the truck.

Other issue could also be the belt just not being tight enough.

If your alternator does go out, let me know. I have a rebuilt one that just came out of the shop last week.

JohnFire

had this a couple times with a couple of different reasons.

Reason 1 - power steering pump bracket broken and if it wasn't for 1 tight bolt the whole thing would have fallen out, all corner mounting holes had cracked.
Reason 2 - new belts and they stretched a little or they stretch over time and still need to be tightened a little
Reason 3 - got the belts wet or on damp days, usually this is when a belt that is a hair loose will squeal
Reason 4 - belt is worn and needs to be replaced

Swede

Ok, i will look into all these thank you. They are new belts, replaced them like 3 months ago. This prob. started 2 weeks ago. I will look into all the above and again thank you all for the info.

CCATLETT1984

odds are that its a loose belt, or the belt glazed over a bit. hit it very lightly with some belt dressing.

also what belts did you get? I posted the #'s for the goodyear gatorback belts a while ago. they have a lifetime warrenty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks