• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beltring War and Peace Show / UK

Hi all,

next weekend we want to drive our deuce to Beltring, to join the War and Peace show, which is supposed to be the largest mil vehicle show worldwide (see http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/ ). It's going to be al long ride (for our dimensions here, ca. 600km one way), and we still have a lot to finish on the truck... We discovered that the handbrake cable was almost broken and the brake was rigid, then after replacing all wheel brake cylinders we found that the main brake cylinder was gone, too, and after repairing that a brake line blew up. Water temp and oil pressure gauges are not operating, either. Not a good sign for the tour. And the best testimony for the fact, that equipment, although almost new regarding driven miles or operating hours (it has just 2400mls and 460h on it) does not get better at all from years just sitting around).

We really need somebody to root for us :) !!

We're also still on the search for drop sides (were stolen! Who steals drop sides?? SOB! ), a soft-top for the cab, and a complete setup with canvas for the backend. A few occasions seem to materialize, but we've still way to go...

By any chance: is anyone here from the european members here who will be in Beltring, too??

Cheers,

Mark ( a little worried...)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, so you only have a week to go. Take it for a long hard test drive with another car following along just to get comfy with it.

It's never good for a vehicle to just sit, the best preventive maintenance is to drive it and do it often.

I'll be looking for a progress report.

Lived in Augsburg for a year back in the early sixties, perhaps you are driving one of the many deuces I spotted then on the cobblestone streets of the old city. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Actually, we only have two days to work on it, and therefore, we won't have time for any long break-in cruises. It's "work as perfect as possible and hit the road" - like. And take a good "care package" along in case something happens.
We'll take the cameras along and document the trip a little - as well as the show, which is supposed to be prime time for us mil vehicle nuts anyhow.

@ cranetruck: Augsburg is a nice city! I was stationed in Donauwörth when I was in the German army back in the eighties. This is not far from Augsburg. We also had an american partner battalion in Augsburg, so there were some nice contacts and common events in these times.

Cheers, Mark

PS : I attached a photo of the beast!

Desert Rat

Mark,
Sweet ride! Don't get frustrated with her. She's suffering from neglect. Mine was the same. It takes lots of time and patience to get them back to the way they were intended to be. Look at how mine has changed over two years.

Hi guys,

we're back from the trip! It was a blast, one of the best rides I ever had, despite some mechanical problems. But what the heck, there are no problems, just challenges! We drove "Doc Mo", as we call the deuce because of the DRMO signing on the Bumper, almost 2000 km through Europe. On the return trip, starting late Sunday evening in the UK, we travelled through 5 european countries in almost continous driving for about 28 hours, switching the steering wheel between the both of us every few hours.

Thanks to the VIC-1 our hearing wasn't impaired, too :)

We had quite some adventures with it, and are preparing a few pictures and a short story of the trip right now, which we'll post in the "trips" section of the forum.

Beltring / UK was awesome, almost 3000 mil vehicles and 5 days of camping right in the middle of it! Paradise for us mv nuts!

@desertrat: I took your word for a reminder, and you are totally right. Never really got frustrated with it, but had a few hard times (both main v-belts ripped, tank started to leak, oilpressure gauge non-funtional, water-temp gauge problematic cause the plug kept falling off on the sender, and so on). Thank god the overall leaking was not too bad, except for the fuel-tank, I would have expected worse considering the long sitting in the yard of the thing.

Thanks for the good wishes and kind words,

Mark

Desert Rat

Mark,
Glad to help with the morale boost! Believe me I sometimes feel my blood pressure rise when things get in a knot or two, especially with 90+ temps and no A/C to cool with. Like Ken, I work best in a moderate climate. However, after my escape from the cold North I'm beginning to see benefits in living way South now. Once the new computers come on-line for us I'll post some before and after pics of my truck for you. You won't believe it's the same truck!