• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bent tailgate - Repair or replace?

I_Publius

I busted out my window and bent up the top part of my tailgate when I hit a tree limb backing down a trail the other day. Uggg....

Now there is a huge crease in it and I need to determine whether or not to have a body shop repair it (unless someone can tell me how to do it myself) or replace it.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd let my insurance pay for a replacement.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will probably need to be covered under collision. Do you have that coverage? Deductible? Just replace it. Takes less than a hour and they are pretty easy to find. I picked up a spare complete tailgate in perfect condition with glass for 75 bucks last year.

I_Publius

That will probably need to be covered under collision. Do you have that coverage? Deductible? Just replace it. Takes less than a hour and they are pretty easy to find. I picked up a spare complete tailgate in perfect condition with glass for 75 bucks last year.
I think I like that idea even better. If I can find one for $75, that is the route I'll take.

I have had too much on the brain lately to even think about the project, so I'm glad to have a forum like this where people can help set my brain straight. ;)

cucvrus

That is a nasty place to do a repair. But it could be done. Is this a show piece? If not fix it so the window works, sand and paint the area and drive on. After you replace the rear glass. Finding one for $75. is a good find. I don't even think I could insure a 30 year old vehicle unless I went with classic insurance. Then with the $500. deductible I would still have to fix it myself. It appears the gate was up when it hit. Good Luck. I hope everything goes well. Fixed or replaced. All works out the same. I have many patina marks on my M1009.

cucvrus

No I am sorry to say it will NOT. It can not be made to fit either. I had a 1/2 dozen brand new takeoffs from a RR contract we built and gave them away.

I_Publius

No I am sorry to say it will NOT. It can not be made to fit either. I had a 1/2 dozen brand new takeoffs from a RR contract we built and gave them away.
I figured it probably would not. Oh well, I'll keep my search going. Thanks!

cucvrus

Are you determined to fix it to perfection? Or just get it operational? If you had a local body man hammered and work that dent out it may be less expensive then a replacement. Just a thought. Good Luck.