• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bent tow bar ears question

Bill W

OK
I'll start with some measurements of my older non collared insert. overall length is 44 3/4", OD of the tube is 2 1/4". Its 9 11/16" from the end of the ears to the center of the first hole ( see pic ). So if the newer (factory) collared insert have these same measurements than I would think that it'll work with possible trimming down outer tube like Doghead suggested to make up for collar length so the first hole aligns.
100_6526.jpg

Bill W

Correct answer is YES it will work

My factory collared insert show up yesterday. All the holes on both collared and non collared inserts are the same length/distance apart. The only problem is when you have the bar in the fully retracted/nested position it won't line up with the first hole, it is off set by about 5/16" I think the engineers who designed the ( factory ) collar did not allow for the thickness of the weld bead, if it was not there the ( first) holes would align perfectly. A quick trim of the outer tube through the chop saw fixed this ( thanks Doghead ) and now hole lines up in nested position. ( note: this field mod does not affect or off set the length or reach of the towbar legs ). Even if I did not trim the outer tube I can still use the tow bar "as is" being there would be no reason ( other then storage ) for me to use the towbar in its fully retracted position. Anyhow I took some pic's of everything
100_6534.jpg100_6527.jpg100_6528.jpg100_6531.jpg100_6535.jpg100_6536.jpg

Last edited:

jasonjc

Correct answer is YES it will work

Even if I did not trim the outer tube I can still use the tow bar as is being there would be no reason ( other then storage ) for me to use the towbar in its fully retracted position. Anyhow I took some pic's of everything
View attachment 543688View attachment 543689View attachment 543693View attachment 543690View attachment 543691View attachment 543692

TM 9-4910-593-12&P
4. Use only the equipment, including quick-release pins (18), that
comes with the towbar. Don’t interchange pin assemblies from the towbar
with pin assemblies from other vehicles. As for the length of the towbar,
KEEP IT AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. If it needs to be extended, simply
remove the pin assembly (6) and slide out the male legs (3).

Bill W

TM 9-4910-593-12&P
4. Use only the equipment, including quick-release pins (18), that
comes with the towbar. Don’t interchange pin assemblies from the towbar
with pin assemblies from other vehicles. As for the length of the towbar,
KEEP IT AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. If it needs to be extended, simply
remove the pin assembly (6) and slide out the male legs (3).
Yeah IF I was pulling the tow bars max rated weight of 39- 42K lbs , than yes keep it fully retracted ( as per manual ) but thats not going to happen with me, fully extended it has 14k lb weight limit ( as per manual )

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I usually pull with mine on the third set of holes. It seems to help the towed vehicle track easier(I might be retarded and it doesn't help, but it seems like it).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks