• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Berg Tire

M215

Hello SS
I made a trip down to Berg Tire in Fayetteville NC to pick up some 1400R20 tires for the M813A1. It was a pleasure to meet Allen Richie, Allen really went out of his way and I left there with a very good deal on 7 Michelin 1400R20 (85-90% tread) and 2 new 900x20 NDTs.
Allen took the time to explain the difference between the Goodyear and the Michelin tires. I had planned to buy the Goodyears, but after seeing the condition of the Michelins it was an easy change, meaner looking tire too.
Overall it was worth the 9-10 hr round trip.

We hear so much negative about some of the vendors we have access to, just wanted to share my good experience with Berg Tire.
Karl

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good report Karl. What did they charge you for the 14.00's? I was quoted $180 for XL a year ago and another member said he got some almost new XL's for $100. Pretty big discrepancy there.

So, when are you going to stop by and see me in Glen Allen. We could have LASIK'd your eyeballs for you on the way home from Berg :wink:

badgmc56

I got a good deal last year for eight 900-20 NDT's. 600.00 for the lot and they looked almost new. I would definately recomend doing business with Berg Tire.

area52

I will throw in my .02 cents, Berg Tire is a very good vendor to deal with. I got 6 9.00 x 20's shipped to California and there were in very good shape.

emr

Do you MV guys usually check date codes? I don't see much reference to it here on SS.
The fast answer is no, Like eggs in the super market that go back and get re stamped 3 times, these tires are used for more than 30 plus years on trucks in service and still perform just fine, these are not 70 mile an hour over the road trucks that have requirments like price and fuel consumption and so on used day in and day out,, they are what they are tactial trucks , And storage on and off the trucks are way more important than any date stamp ,there are many good posts in the archives here to read up on that, Like these trucks the tires will out last many of us as much as the trucks that are properly maintaned, And a note on these vehicles , I have seen and there are many WW2 vehicles with tires older than me that are still running just fine, Now I personally had a cckw352 from nato in Norway that came with what looked like original or close to rubber, the truck had only 15,000 miles on it, and it was stored inside, they were and are just fine also, sunlight is the biggest cause of tires becoming non usable other than a punture....

SixSpeed

Banned
I have been dealing with Berg Tire for a while, Allen is a great guy, and he always find the tires that nobody else can! Prices are excellent too.

DavidWymore

Well, I'm not a MV owner (yet) but I've run lots of MV tires on civvy offroad stuff and know of many who have. I've learned that date codes are very important. When we run them, we run them at low (single digit) pressures and beat the wee out of them. If they're old, they crack instead of flexing and fall apart. I ran a set of early 1990s vintage 15.5s on a Blazer for two trips to the desert and they started coming apart.

Here's a thread about them on Pirate. My handle there is davyjeeper

Durability of Used Miliary tires - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A google search for Berg Tire found this in the 8th result listed.

910-485-8800

saddamsnightmare

April 6th, 2010.

Mr Wymore:

What you have said about tires does have some merit, but I have seen rock runners and desert rats do things to tires that they were not designed to do from day one.
I have had 35 and 40 year old military tires hold up untill they were physically worn out in construction... off road logging, and rock hauling, and reasonable on road use. I have an M35A2 with military NDT's that are about completely worn out, but they have lasted 20-25 years in Uncle's and my service, yet I have a brand new spare that is dry rotted and cracked from never having been off the truck to be used. I wouldn't use it in except the direst emergency to get home at low speed....
They are all gonna be replaced before the next long over the road trip, but since my truck averages about 22 to 25 MPH in local service, 6 to 12 miles a day, the tires will hold until I can locate the correct spares. Most of these are not radials, they are bias plyed, and they behave wildly differently at the low pressures you use sand crawling. I can't image airing down a steel belted radial to 10-12-15 PSI and not having a tread or sidewall failure, because the radials aren't designed to do that regularly. The Military NDT and NDCC's were designed for that from day 1.
If you desert runners are going on sand all the time, you need large smooth tread sand tires, but I wouldn't imagine them doing well at speed or on wet roads, because the design requirements for that are different. Virtually no NDT/NDCC does well on rain slicked pavement, snow, or high speed (above 55 MPH) running, but then they were designed for military off road requirements.... If the NDT/NDCC has a solid look, good tread and sidewalls, and new tubes in it, I wouldn't fear to go clear across country on a set with good inspection and maintenance..... AND remember, convoy speeds could be as low as 10 mph to a normal high of 45 mph on road, not to demanding for 8 and 12 ply tires in good shape...... Remember Firestone and the Ford 4X4, some tires from new are like junkyard dogs, not much good for anything......:twisted:
Just my .o2 worth,

Good luck and cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

Last edited:
Reactions: emr

emr

Well, I'm not a MV owner (yet) but I've run lots of MV tires on civvy offroad stuff and know of many who have. I've learned that date codes are very important. When we run them, we run them at low (single digit) pressures and beat the wee out of them. If they're old, they crack instead of flexing and fall apart. I ran a set of early 1990s vintage 15.5s on a Blazer for two trips to the desert and they started coming apart.

Here's a thread about them on Pirate. My handle there is davyjeeper

Durability of Used Miliary tires - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
just an fyi, i have been running for 30 years, and unless they are dryrotted and dried out they willl perform just fine, and as for uncle sam doing it for the last 80 years, there has never been a rash of tire failure because they work, it is up to U, and your opinion also, but most will run these tires for more years than some people stay in the hobby, just sayin, if u use an ol" dry tire and try to run it like new u will get what u expect, if u use experience and not a date u will get a tire that does everything u expect and more....experience is where it is at...randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks