• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best 24 volt battery charger?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a neat charger, but I have no experience with Noco chargers. You might want to google Noco charger problems and see what pops up.

steelandcanvas

That looks like a neat charger, but I have no experience with Noco chargers. You might want to google Noco charger problems and see what pops up.
I read some of the reviews, one big drawback: The unit does not come with a line cord, you have to physically plug the "brick" into the wall or connect to an extension cord. I do like the 5 year warranty though.

emr

An on board 12 volt maintainer /charger /desulfater for each batt it by far the best of the best hands down, The reason for batts not handling one charger is simple, its not the batteries .Its like filling a pool, the first charger gets all the juice, the second and so on get the run off, yes its true, there for , people with allot of trucks will notice the batt in the end of the trail always is the one that fails first, de-sulfates the most and usually a cell goes bad, The charging system will not over charge the first batt to completely fill the last batt, It will never be smart enough to know the last batt is full, It only knows the the last batts have enough charge in them that they are not draining the first batt to a level it can see, there fore the last batts are always not fully charged and sulfate, losing there life slowly but surly. Now one charger will work just fine, for years, But you will be shortening the life of the end batts, one way to stop this is maintenance, Take batts out twice a year clean bring em up to a full charge individually and replace in opposite order, Then you will be treating your batts right with just one 24 volt charger. Its more work , and lets face it , no matter what anyone says, the batts dont fail, people fail the batts. Its always human error. :) Oh I run all the plugs to one splice so I have only one plug,

emr

A solorgizer or any charger will slow sulfation if you use it all the time to keep it fully charged, Unless a charger says " Desulfater on it is will not desulfate, And the single charger will NOT stop sulfation happening faster in the last batts in line, because a single charger will never completely charge the last batts like i explained above.

Yeah, the price is steep but I think its one of those things you buy once and never buy again. And right now on the website they are taking like 80 bucks off and free shipping so cheapest place to buy it is straight from them right now.

JH1

I have been using cheap chargers I find at thrift stores for years. Usually find them for $5-$15. They are used for wheel chairs, forklifts, etc. They are made to charge 24v batteries and I can bring a dead pair of 12v car/light truck batteries up to the point where they'll start the deuce in an hour or two, usually. Some are automatic chargers and some you need to remove after a few hours. I grafted a single pin male plug onto the wires usually, or sometimes just use a pair of alligator clips. I'm an electronics guy and understand ohms, volts, and all that stuff. Works fine, and for good reason, too.

Additional info: The reason they are so cheap is that most folks have no use for a 24v charger, so they kinda dump them. The wheel chair chargers take longer to charge, of course. I got a nice big forklift charger, with a built in timer and ammeter for $10 a while back. Works really well.

Last edited:

chadande

I have both the larger automatic chargers and the smaller battery tender type. The 24v tender is permanently attached to my generator.
If you can find one of the slave cable accessory plugs (see pic) you can wire it to the charger leads and charge without having to fool around in the battery box.

I think I have a couple more of those black chargers that I should really put in the classifieds...

Attachments

NOCO genius G26000 is my favorite truck charger

imagesA.jpgWithout a doubt my favorite battery chargers are from NOCO genius. I use the G26000 on both my M35A2 and my M818. I have both mounted on the outside of the truck tied into the batteries. I have had batteries I was about to toss and the G26000 has brought them back every time. They are a little expensive, If you sign up for their email subscription, there will be 50% discount emails that go out. I jump on that every time. They have accessories that mount inside the cab also.

hilber

View attachment 409416Without a doubt my favorite battery chargers are from NOCO genius. I use the G26000 on both my M35A2 and my M818. I have both mounted on the outside of the truck tied into the batteries. I have had batteries I was about to toss and the G26000 has brought them back every time. They are a little expensive, If you sign up for their email subscription, there will be 50% discount emails that go out. I jump on that every time. They have accessories that mount inside the cab also.
I was just looking at those. Look good and price is not bad.

Also keep in mind, this will do 12vdc or 24dc, so you can charge batteries individually or all together. They sell extra pigtails, so you can easily plug the charger into different vehicles. SIGN UP FOR THE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION, then wait for the 50% off sale. Since November, I've seen the email 2x. I like that the chargers recognize cold temps and the charger goes into a "cold" mode. For me in North Dakota, this is important.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks