• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best 5-ton tractor

M813A1

Yes it will gain speed but you will oose pull power with the 1400X20 I would not recomend these tires !! The M915A1 will pull any load at 70 Mph all day !! If you can a M915 with the 16 Speed Cat trans you will be able to run out at 75 empty it is a bit faster. But for the money the M915 or M916 would be your best bet !!

rcflyer70

If the M818 is a loud and rough as the M52A2, I would go with the M915 series. I love driving my M52A2 to pull trailers short distances but when it come to the long haul, the 915A1 is the only way.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've hauled some pretty sizable loads with a M818 but it was just local (less than 20 miles). It did it ok. I wouldn't want to haul a big load across the state. The main thing that hurts the M818 is the trans. The gear spaces are really too far apart to stay within the Cummins torque curve. I had a old civilian IH truck with a 250 and a 10 speed. That IH would run off and leave a M818. The 10 speed trans was better suited for the Cummins.

The only drawback to the M915 is no front wheel drive. If that's a requirement you'll have to pass on it. That leads us to the M916. The M916 does have front wheel drive and a rear winch but they usually go for quite a bit more than a M915. You're also going to have to change out the 5th wheel on a M916 to fit most trailers.

I think a M818 will get you by if you're only hauling local and not doing it every day.

Last edited:

jasonjc

The M818 biggist problem is the Army bean counters tried to save a few bucks buy using the same tranmisson as they used in the old trucks. The old trucks reved higher than the Cummins and the torque curve is way different. And they are greared low, they are meant to be off road 75% of the time,not raceing down the hwy. You will find your self in 3rd grear WOT going up hill but you can't jump to 4th because of the big gap.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
818 with trans change to nonover drive.
818 with 400BC trans swap to 10 and drop box from 916/920.
I like old school manual trans just for the fact you at least drag them started.

Bobcat701

Thanks for the information fellas. I am thinking about purchasing a 916 in the near future. I retired from the military about ten years ago and currently working as a contractor. I am taking a CDL course in April and thinking about using the truck independent owner operator for local loads within 200 miles. Any thoughts?

snowtrac nome

Thanks for the information fellas. I am thinking about purchasing a 916 in the near future. I retired from the military about ten years ago and currently working as a contractor. I am taking a CDL course in April and thinking about using the truck independent owner operator for local loads within 200 miles. Any thoughts?
my thoughts buy a commercial tractor, more power less fuel consumption, and less overall maintenance. with a 5 ton there is 3 axles to maintain, and even with locking hubs there is still a lot of extra stuff spinning. Also every pound you have of all wheel drive components is that many pounds of revenue you cant load on the trailer. the 5 ton tractors look cool but their short wheel base will really limit weight they can carry based on bridge formula.

red

According to the TM and in cab plates on road the m818 is rated for 55k (931 should be as well but it's not written in there). That being said the m916 is a better truck for commercial use.

If you will be staying on the pavement and don't need a rear winch save some money and get a m915. 4x6 so less maintenance to deal with and it's lighter weight. 915, 916, and 920 all run the big cam 400 and have transmissions with smaller gaps between the gears than the 818.

If your planning to be offroad often and are not concerned about being a bit slower, 818 or 931.

ClintA

The M818 will pull harder than the M932 in my opinion but neither one will break any speed records loaded. If you bought a 818 look into duel fuel line and it will help a little.maiden vorage 5-14 001.jpg

snowtrac nome

again if you have to scale it I would suggest you grab the trailer weight ,length and axle group and same info weight wheel base and axle group run by one of your local scale houses have the operator do some calculations make shur its good for the whole 50 k weight the data plate allows. the extra weight of the all wheel drive and short wheel base may limit you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks