• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best CARC

man2112

I've been searching around the forums, and reading up on the different CARC types, but i am confused as to which one is the "current issue" and which one you all feel is the best? If you have an opinion as to which one is your favorite, PLEASE include the part number and the reason why! Hopefully this can serve as sort of a central CARC reference thread, rather than being spread amongst several threads.

jaxsof

CARC is CARC. Sherwin-Williams makes the stuff as well as others. It is a urethane based paint and not all green paint is CARC.

That being said, S-W makes about 8 different versions, in all the popular military colors. Some is even waterborne.

To do it right though, you are going to need to be sure the metal has been prepped right from the steel out.

TB43-0213 is where you need to start.

man2112

Okay, but out of the CARC type 1, 2, 3, or 4 available from Sherwin williams, which is better? Or do they all perform and work the same? And do you have to use the specific CARC primer?

Nonotagain

Mil-DTL-64159 type 2 is the way to go if you really need/want CARC.

I used Hentzen Coatings material only because my normal supplier doesn't make CARC, but can get me MilSpray material.

The type 2 coating is a waterborne product, sprays very well, and covers in one coat.

No such a thing as CARC primer. There is epoxy primer, which you should use.

The waterborne coating has to be one of the easiest materials I've ever sprayed. It's almost impossible to get a gritty dry surface due to the slower dry times.

ryan77

Ive used the sherwin williams waterborne carc on the last 5 trucks ive painted! Stuff goes on so easy ray charles could paint a truck in a wind tunnel!!!

Nonotagain

do you have to use the military epoxy primer? Or can it be any epoxy primer?
Any high quality solvent based epoxy will work fine.
Limit the amount of time between primer cure and CARC application or you'll have to scuff sand, and primer mist coat before application.

HASSON1911

I'm seriously thinking about lin-exing my entire truck i know i will have to put down as much as the truck cost. but i think in the end it will be worth it.

man2112

I think lin-x ing the bed would be nice. The paint shop had a special a while back for the whole package including spray gun for an incredibly low price. I don't remember what that price was off of the top of my head, but i used it to coat the bottom of a car. Hopefully they still have that special.

acesneights1

I can tell you stay away from Milspray Carc sub. The stuff is peeling off my truck in sheets. I will have to strip and repaint the entire truck come spring. Stuff is garbage.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
S W has the TYPE 9 CARC redy to spray and it looks great and lays down nice I painted this M1038 For TedG.
Ted Thank you for The job.

Attachments

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please site reference to type 9 material to MIL-DTL-64159 coating.

There are only three types listed, I,II, and III, no type 9.

http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/...spec=MIL-DTL-64159_INT_AMENDMENT-1.029850.pdf
O yes there this is new low VOC CARC here the info and I bought alot this year we spray alot of Mil equipment that off our Media Blasting Fleet Paint BUSINESS.
And use at least 415 GL this year alone.

Hope this help to clairfy the new CARC that Came out for new Product in late 2010.
MIL-DTL-53039D TYPE 9

MIL-DTL-53039D, Type IX coatings are single component moisture cure aliphatic polyurethane camouflage chemical agent resistant coating (CARC) for military equipment. They conform to MIL-DTL-53039D performance specification. They can be effectively decontaminated after exposure to liquid chemical agents

Single component.
3.5 lb/gal VOC.
HAPS FREE.
Fast solvent and water resistance.
Very responsive for force curing.
Reduces waste.
Low viscosity.
Smooth finish versus standard CARC.
Excellent exterior durability.

Product Number Color Size*
F93B112 Black, 37030 1 Gallon
F93B112 Black, 37030 5 Gallons
F93G111 Green 383, 34094 1 Gallon
F93G111 Green 383, 34094 5 Gallons
F93H118 Tan 686A, 33446 1 Gallon
F93H118 Tan 686A, 33446 5 Gallons

Page 1 of pdf file is so out dated. and here what it said.

MIL-DTL-64159A TYPE 1

MIL-DTL-64159B Type I CARC coatings are two component waterborne polyurethane chemical agent resistant coatings (CARC) for military equipment. Meets the performance and composition of the MIL-DTL-64159B Type I specification.

MIL-DTL-64159(MR)
w/INT. AMENDMENT 1
6 March 2007
USED IN LIEU OF
MIL-DTL-64159
30 January 2002

DETAIL SPECIFICATION
COATING, WATER DISPERSIBLE ALIPHATIC POLYURETHANE, CHEMICAL
AGENT RESISTANT
This specification is approved for use by all Departments and Agencies of the Department of Defense.
1. SCOPE
1.1 Scope. This specification covers water-dispersible, chemical agent resistant, aliphatic polyurethane
coatings for use as a finish coat on all military tactical equipment, which includes ground, aviation and related
support assets. The materials are free of hazardous air pollutants (HAP-free), lead and chromate (hexavalent
chromium) free, and have a maximum volatile organic compound (VOC) content of 220 g/l (1.8 lb/gal) as
packaged.
1.2 Classification. Coating type and color will be as specified below.
1.2.1 Types. The coating will be furnished in the following types as specified (see 6.2). Whenever Type I
or Type II are not specifically required in a relevant contractual document, either type of coating is acceptable.
Type I - Silica-based flattening agents
Type II - Polymeric flattening agents
Type III - Self contained portable kits. The kits contain the Type II CARC coating in a touch-up system.
AMSC N/A FSC 8010

Last edited:

Nonotagain

The CARC paint (MIL-PRF-53039) you are referencing is a solvent based system. It is a single component material.
My plant still uses some of this material (300-500 gallons a year) but has switched to the MIL-DTL-64159 waterborne material due to being a much easier product to spray, 1/3 the VOC's, not as toxic as the solvent system and doesn't fade nearly as fast.
Once you spray the 64159 paint, you won't want to spray the solvent based system.

BTW, the Army Research Lab at Aberdeen MD is in the final process of canceling the 53039 approvals.