• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best chemical/product to clean soft cover?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My soft cover top has some mildew/algae growing on it. I tried pressure washing it with Purple Power, and it just grew right back quickly.

I see a variety of products out there for cleaning boat covers and stuff. Some have bleach in them, and some are comparatively expensive in the quantity needed to clean this whole cover.

Is the cover bleach-resistant? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

ToddJK

My soft cover top has some mildew/algae growing on it. I tried pressure washing it with Purple Power, and it just grew right back quickly.

I see a variety of products out there for cleaning boat covers and stuff. Some have bleach in them, and some are comparatively expensive in the quantity needed to clean this whole cover.

Is the cover bleach-resistant? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Is this cover vinyl? I haven't used any bleach products on my soft top or cargo cover (vinyl) but I do occasionally use a degreaser with dawn dish soap. I've also gotten break clean and all kinds of other chemicals on my cover and noticed no loss of color or rapid deterioration. Try a 50/50 mix of bleach in water with some dish soap and clean a small area and see how that works. The only thing I've noticed that's hard on the vinyl covers is the sun 🤷.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this cover vinyl? I haven't used any bleach products on my soft top or cargo cover (vinyl) but I do occasionally use a degreaser with dawn dish soap. I've also gotten break clean and all kinds of other chemicals on my cover and noticed no loss of color or rapid deterioration. Try a 50/50 mix of bleach in water with some dish soap and clean a small area and see how that works. The only thing I've noticed that's hard on the vinyl covers is the sun 🤷.
Yes, it's the non-cloth type of cover, though I don't know if that is literally "vinyl", from a chemical compatibility standpoint.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used this before on numerous covers before, that were vinyl and cloth. On my trucks and boats. Heck I even use it on my vinyl siding to remove stubborn stains mildew and that green stuff I guess is algae that won’t come off with other cleaners.
YMMV.

I don’t know why it says Robot or human.
It is Starbrite Mildew cleaner at Walmart. Click on it, it will come up.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used this before on numerous covers before, that were vinyl and cloth. On my trucks and boats. Heck I even use it on my vinyl siding to remove stubborn stains mildew and that green stuff I guess is algae that won’t come off with other cleaners.
YMMV.

I don’t know why it says Robot or human.
It is Starbrite Mildew cleaner at Walmart. Click on it, it will come up.

I picked up a bottle of this while I happened to be at AutoZone. It's bleach (sodium hypochlorate) and drano (sodium hydroxide) mixed!

I haven't tried it yet.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tried a lot of products, including doing some head-to-head trials to compare the results. The single best product I have found is Chlorox Outdoor Bleach. It contains sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide and various surfactants. If there is any oil present I hit it with Purple Power first.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tried a lot of products, including doing some head-to-head trials to compare the results. The single best product I have found is Chlorox Outdoor Bleach. It contains sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide and various surfactants. If there is any oil present I hit it with Purple Power first.
And no damage to the plastic/rubber cover material?

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that I have ever noticed but I keep the exposure short, maybe 10-15 minutes and then scrub and rinse. I have mostly been cleaning tan soft doors lately and they appear to be made of entirely plastic, rubber, and a painted metal frame. Anything with natural organic fibers such as cotton will be vulnerable to caustic (sodium hydroxide).

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thread on the stitiching for the windows is already suspect for holding up long term. That is the only area I would avoid.
The LMTV covers don't have any stitching, windows, etc. They are all rubberized-fabric, with welded seams.

ToddJK

I've used that outdoor bleach before to clean vinyl siding and it worked well, especially the siding closest to the ground that likes to get growth on it, the bleach really helps to mitigate that growth much better than soap or degreaser alone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks