• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best choice for replacement shocks for m1009

pinwormfood

hi guys, i have read dozens of threads and I am trying to figure out what you guys recommend for shocks. i dont want to spend 100 a shock but I'd like to get a good set. I only do some off roading and no rock crawling. i'd like to have a nice ride on the street as well..something that will help with cornering. my 1009 seems to feel like it rolls in the corners...i know it isn't a porsche, but id' like it to handle a little better. any tips would be very helpful
thanks, pinwormfood

Westech

CPL
Get the cheapest ones from Monroe. Trust me 15 years in the biz and thats the best shock for the 80's GM pick up/blazers. There around 15 each give or take.

pinwormfood

really??? i am not doubting you....i am wondering why no one else has chimed in. do the cheapie moroe's really give a decent ride on and off road?

CA_LEO

I had some Monroes on a sedan i had, they were nothing to write home about in my opinion. I have had great luck with the Rancho 5000 shocks I run them on my 02 Silverado and they work great on and off road. The part number for the M1009 Rancho 5000 series shocks are RS5118 and RS5151 from what I read on this thread. Hope this helps.

DXTAC

I just ordered Monroe SensaTrac LoadLevelers. 58552's for the front and 58578's for the rear. I have them on my van and they are great! Also help compensate for the older springs.

Attachments

DXTAC

If you have that kind of money to put into a 25 year old vehicle send some my way, I'd like to swap the PITA fuel filter with a WIX spin on style!! LOL That could be done with the price difference between the Bilsteins and Monroe's. Monroe's will be just fine for the road and mild 4 wheelin'.

Sephirothq

I bought 2 sets of front shocks from summit when they had them on sale. I will have to look to see what they were but there is probably a thread here on them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had an issue with the Monroes but I was never engaged in desert racing either.

firecontrol86

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i've been looking around for replacement shocks, and almost every site(autozone, pep boys, advance) have OE dual front shocks on the full size blazer. is there a difference or could you just use one of the fronts inner or outer?

Mudstone

i have a set of bilstein hd shocks for a m1009 they have maybe 3000 miles on them before i did my lift. I loved the shocks they just don't fit with my setup anymore. let me know if you are interested PM me.

cucvrus

Auto zone shocks warranted for life can't beat the price and they work just fine. Don't buy the direct fit OEM replacements they are really inexpensive and wanky looking. (lifetime warranty). Spend a little more on the mid grade. But you are talking about putting shocks on a buck board. Not much you can do to make these old trucks ride nice. These are old school trucks. Not the smooth riding trucks of the modern era. Nothing wrong with that but it is hard to tame leaf spring suspension front and rear. They were NOT made for comfort. Happy Holidays.