• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best CUCV replacement dash pad

cucvrus

Question about a quality dash pad. Does anyone know of a good quality replacement dash pad for the CUCV? I have used the Brother's brand and have been disappointed. The OEM was a 1-piece tin underlayment and had the vinyl formed over the single piece. All the replacements I have used and seen have a 3-piece tin underlayment. Also, the quality is not the same and I had fit and attachment issues. Now looking at the truck with the 10-year-old dash pad I can really see the poor quality and no weather resistance. I want to buy 1 for a special vehicle that a customer has. I rebuilt the vehicle 20 years ago and have done work on it from time to time. Any ideas. I have 1 OEM GM dash pad for my current project and would like to buy 2 more. One for my final CUCV project and one for the customer's truck. I remember buying these OEM dash pads from my local dealer 10 at a time. They were only about $175. at the time. Any thoughts?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a NOS replacement on craigslist a few years ago. It was stuffed into an attic crawlspace and forgotten- guy sold the truck. You should regularly search cl with the search term "K5" and see what comes up- sometimes it's surprising. I'm still looking for a half-cab setup to appear. I saw half of one about a decade ago and let it go.

The pad I got doesn't fit great, so definitely aftermarket repro but didn't have a brand name on it.

IF I hadn't found it, I was considering dispensing with the dash pad altogether. I saw someone had stripped all the 'pad' off the metal and painted it. It looked pretty good- not stock but had a military utility sorta look.

My plan was to strip mine and paint it, then go the wrecking yard and find another. I would cut out the other one, paint it, and install it over mine with ¼" spacers- to sorta have it raised. Trim the edges with door trim.

Jeepadict

I recall the dashpad being a civvy twin...LMC Truck has some offerings in the color pages in the center of their catalog that show well on paper. Classic Industries, USA1, Tucker's...a Google search for Squarebody restoration parts gives a cornucopia of stuff to filter thru. I've noted in the past when searching "Squarebody restoration dash pad" the majority of return results are refurbishment video how-to's and repair. Not a direct answer to your query, but I can get a full list of my Squarebody catalogs later today if it would be of any value.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
inflation and rareness costs more but they are available with original fitting clips if these fit your project.

and in eBay and Amazon too, all flavors......

and for more goto

cucvrus

That video was not very helpful. But Thank You anyway. The real issue I always encounter is the corners of the dash pad where the 2 upper cluster face/bezel corners attach. On the OEM one there was a hole in the tin, and you could clip the Tinnerman's nut on the edge and it fit like it was supposed to be there. That edge issue he has at the door opening is easy. Remove the door seals before installing the dash and the door seals will push the edges back in when you reinstall the door seals. I have covered a few dash pads with upholstery. It wasn't the nicest, but I wasn't entering any shows with it, and it lasted for years. DSCF6040.JPG
mele Kalikimaka
Check out the Mink stole. Very fashionable. It was joke when I told a friend I was looking for a dash pad.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That video was not very helpful. But Thank You anyway. The real issue I always encounter is the corners of the dash pad where the 2 upper cluster face/bezel corners attach. On the OEM one there was a hole in the tin, and you could clip the Tinnerman's nut on the edge and it fit like it was supposed to be there. That edge issue he has at the door opening is easy. Remove the door seals before installing the dash and the door seals will push the edges back in when you reinstall the door seals. I have covered a few dash pads with upholstery. It wasn't the nicest, but I wasn't entering any shows with it, and it lasted for years. View attachment 852437
mele Kalikimaka
Check out the Mink stole. Very fashionable. It was joke when I told a friend I was looking for a dash pad.

Rick - How much for the Hawaiian Girl?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures of the dash. It does have a metal backing.
I purchased this about a year ago.
GM Dash Pad

Attachments

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about in the upper corners where the bezel attaches? And is it 1 metal base piece. This matters. I like the USA.

Rick my new dash pad is exactly like the OEM pad in every detail. The screws for the bezel cleared in the corners with no problem. You will not be disappointed in the product. You know how picky I am. If the pad I got wasn't perfect I would not have used it. I don't know what else to say. Dayum you are getting hard-headed in yor old age.

DSC02631.JPG

Zeb

Pictures of the dash. It does have a metal backing.
I purchased this about a year ago.
GM Dash Pad
HEADS UP! This vendor has a coupon code for 15% off + free shipping on orders of at least $350 right now. Coupon code 15FEB22
I was going to wait a while before dropping a few hundred bucks on something cosmetic... but when I saw my total drop from $411 to $298, I couldn't resist.

By the way, I went with dark brown for the dash pad color. Hoping it will match the door panels and bench seat. Will try to remember to post some photos once it comes in, since the website doesn't have any photos for this color choice

Zeb

Dark brown doesn't match perfectly, but I like it better than the original grey dash pad. Fits pretty well, even without a couple retainer clips (2 of the old ones broke while I was installing, thus the bulge you can see over the passenger side dash where those missing clips are supposed to be holding it down flat/tight). I ordered replacement clips from LMC (PN 30-0569).

Also, had trouble removing the original dash molding without breaking the old brittle retaining nuts & inserts. The original is haphazardly hanging on now, and easily falls off with any bump in the road. For now I plan to use some double sided velcro wall-hanging tape to keep it in place, but looking for better alternatives. Found a replacement at CJ Pony Parts, but price is $75 and lead time is 5wks. Anyone know of a faster and cheaper place to get one?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks