• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BEST ENGINE FOR THE Deuce

JasonS

Westech said:
well Kenny if they have the red sealer around the holes and such there new, but I think by 1991 your way safe to say there the new kind.

Now I have been hearing all this about the gasser being the "best" Deuce power plant. I do say its not loud at all, has ok power (little on the low side) the 400 cid gasser is a lot better power wise then the 331 but to a multi its still under powered.
That last statement is a little presumptuous. The 400 has more horsepower and torque than the LDT-465 at the multifuels peak horsepower rpm.

JasonS

No, I have to believe that you are still making assumptions based on your experience with the 331. The 400 is significantly better: 100ft lb more torque and at a lower rpm. It also has ten years of improvement over the OA331. Then, theres the advantage of no leaking injector pumps, drain back oil filters, getting the right head gaskets, thrown rods, etc... :D

Westech

CPL
I have driven all 3 engines. From MY feeling I like the Multi better. like I said there are pros and cons to each power plant. but hey your not getting what I'm saying.. If your all up on peak power then hook up to my Deuce with ANY gas power plant and we will see what happens. I got a load of betting on my Multi pulling it all over the place. Just ask the east cost convoy how fast I came up on them going up hill towing my deuce. I can pass over the road trucks with my multi.. sure its turned up a tad. cant do that with a gasser....

alphadeltaromeo

Love the sound of my MF...had an older gent come over to the nabes place a while back...came over to my house to see the deuce and I fired it up for him...he gets in...taps the throttle a few times and comes out with a smile..."man i love that sound!!" he says...so i take him to the dump to get rid of my trash right...he just about cried tellin' me about nam and drivin' them. So he has an open invite to come over any time and take it for a spin...

Love the sound of my MF :D

JasonS

Well, between crying kids, I didn't get a chance to finely craft that last post. I am happy that we both get what we want out of our deuces. I would like to hear if there is someone else who has done the 400 swap. I was worried that mine was an orphan.

qdbrown

I have a quick question about the MF's. I just picked up a 1971 Deucenahalf, with a White (Continental) MF engine. Military rebuild in 1989, and the data plates say Diesel and Gas only (in the cab). No JP Fuels a line below. The engine's data plate clearly says MultiFuel. That has made me a bit nervous about just how multifuel it really is? I have been toying with different fuels such as used motor oil, B100, and even WVO. Any thoughts or knowledge on the subject would be great! I figure the military did something on the 1989 update to really change things in the fuel system.

qdbrown

I might try out some different fuels. It still makes me a bit nervous that someone spent the time to engrave a data plate that says Diesel and Gas Only. It's not unlike that little scene out of, "The Goonies," where one of the character's says, 'God put that rock there for a reason...'

qdbrown

Yeah, I understand the no-spark plug thing. I figured the group who rebuilt my truck in 89 put in something less inferior such as cheapie rubber o-rings and seals somewhere between the fuel tank and the IP. It would be easy to thrown in the regular stuff, than ideal, if you assumed that the ideal was never going to be more than diesel or gas. Of course, I am speaking after reading about that fellow who put solvent into his fuel tank, and melted all the rubber to the IP, days before needing it in a parade. Someone brought up the ideal rubber to be using, not just any ole part for the MF.

No.2Diesel

Someone should gather all engines that were ever put in Deuces and 5tons: All Multis, Macks, Cummins, Gassers, etc. and Dyno test them.

That would make for a good series of MVM articles...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
What is the difference between that Reo 331 and the R6602 in my M 52 gasser?
Totally different engine design. The OA-331 was new in 1949, and IIRC the R6602 basic design goes back to WWII. (Army Air Force Ward LaFrance crash trucks built on the M1A1 chassis used the R6602's predecessor to power the pump).

331 is sleeved, 6602 is not.

HTH,
David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
qdbrown said:
I have a quick question about the MF's. I just picked up a 1971 Deucenahalf, with a White (Continental) MF engine. Military rebuild in 1989, and the data plates say Diesel and Gas only (in the cab). No JP Fuels a line below. The engine's data plate clearly says MultiFuel. That has made me a bit nervous about just how multifuel it really is? I have been toying with different fuels such as used motor oil, B100, and even WVO. Any thoughts or knowledge on the subject would be great! I figure the military did something on the 1989 update to really change things in the fuel system.
I've got a plate on my dash that says " No aviation grade gasoline". I've heard in times past that airplane gas will harm any gas engine (except airplanes I guess) over an extended period.

emr

Oh but the Multi/turbo sound is like a heuy to me , just soooo unique! LOVE that ROAR!!! foot to the floor and shift it fast, U get peoples attention in a parade too, in first low and some gas its just soo much cooler than anything else, I think they are all good, nice thing about a deuce is u may want another one after U get one, so see whats around , the whisltlers are just so nice too, as for what motor, isnt each later model just better suited for emissions, ? and the last one would actually pass an emission test? its amazing all the info out there, but that is some of the first stuff i heard? Thanks randy

EO2NMCB

Just joined, great site. I could be wrong but I think that alot of folks like the MF because its a change of pace from there cars or p/u's that are gas. I on the other Love a big cid truck gas eng for the sound, since I drive a 3406E cat for weeks at a time. As for a turned up MF passing OTR trucks you might pass a few of the slow company trucks, but not any 500hp or better, 100mph trucks!