• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Engine Oil?

BillIdaho

As long as you meet the grade and spec's of whatever the TM recommends, brand doesn't make much difference.
Related story: Ten years or fifteen years ago, I built and drag-raced a "funny-bike". Kawasaki, 450 hp, fuel injected, alcohol, supercharged, 11 slick, The bike went 165 mph at 8.20 on its third qualifying pass. ( It was capable of about 7.00 at 175 at sea level) I had to change oil every time I started it. Period.
Anyway, at one of the big racing events at our local track, a racing buddy of mine and I were talking to one of the top funny car drivers of all time. We asked him what was the best brand of oil. If anyone should know, he should. After all, 6000 horsepower pretty well will decide what is a good oil and what isn't.
Without hesitation, he replied "as long as you meet the engine's spec's, whatever they give you for free...".
I studied what would work best in my Goat, as that has an aluminum 353 two stroke diesel. Apparently, straight weights work better in older engines. I forget the reasoning.
I like Rotella.

steelypip

old, low-tech engines (like your m35 gasser) pretty much expect oil in the crankcase. Not much more than that is required. Modern tribology didn't exist when that engine was designed. Meet the viscosity requirements and change at the recommended interval.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't be afraid to run used centrifuged oil in an older motor, as long as the viscosity was OK.

Did I mention I love motor oil threads? :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks