• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best guesses at a restored m1009's value in 2018 and beyond

cucvrus

DSCF4344.jpgThat's just another example of one more original CUCV lost.

98% are gone and will never return to original equipment. I sold near perfect ones and seen them hacked and lifted as soon as they got home. Not all but lots. I destroyed a few plowing and that's the way it goes. They are machines. Mass produced and of little value as museum pieces. I like to build nice stuff but I am NOT a thread counter. I had a hidden picture for you Tinstar. Did you catch it? Is that what you are looking for X 2?

corvette9

I'm in the all orig. camp. I don't go for all the mods guys do to these poor trucks. I wouldn't even consider a truck that has a lift on it or wiring all butched up. When I bought my 1028 it needed a lot of work, nothing I could not handle. But nothing was ever changed from the way GM built it. I believe that's why it is so dependable.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 711917That's just another example of one more original CUCV lost.

98% are gone and will never return to original equipment. I sold near perfect ones and seen them hacked and lifted as soon as they got home. Not all but lots. I destroyed a few plowing and that's the way it goes. They are machines. Mass produced and of little value as museum pieces. I like to build nice stuff but I am NOT a thread counter. I had a hidden picture for you Tinstar. Did you catch it? Is that what you are looking for X 2?
Yes
Exactly
Along with the other things mentioned

cucvrus

DSCF4368.jpgDSCF4369.jpgAfter the Holidays. I am onto new projects at the moment. My wood hauler combo. Retired hydrostatic and a HD hand truck. Saved me 4 trips with the Vermont wood cart with each load. And I can ride. Work smarter not harder. And its a Honda. Very dependable. 686 desert Tan CARC. Happy Holidays.

ssdvc

Rust free is where it is at and in the long run those will be the most prized vehicles.

I am just a beginner and so far I have had only two M1009's. One turned out to be very rusty, but cleverly covered up. In 2 short years the rust returned, with a vengeance. I just sold her to someone who was made aware of all the rust and will be making a mud truck out of her. They are very happy with it. The other 1009 and my current ride, went through an extensive CUCVRUS restoration. The truck is beautiful, inside and out, and I get a lot of compliments, as well as the afore mentioned "gas station stops asking is it for sale" inquiries.

Will my 1009 ever be worth more than I paid for it? I am not sure. I can only hope, but since she won't be for sale anytime soon, it doesn't matter. And, as soon as I can swing it, I will try and pick up another one, maybe a nice pickup to match. It's a sickness.

sandcobra164

I'm curious as to how much a CD player install and glowplug resistor removal lowers the value then. I did have to modify the dash to install the radio but I used an install kit from Crutchfield so it looks factory. I realize that some of you gentlemen are purist but I'm curious as to "acceptable" mods. Other than that, my truck is as original as the day it rolled off the line. 7,600 miles and slowly counting. He made his 5th appearance in the local Christmas Parade two weeks ago!

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious as to how much a CD player install and glowplug resistor removal lowers the value then. I did have to modify the dash to install the radio but I used an install kit from Crutchfield so it looks factory. I realize that some of you gentlemen are purist but I'm curious as to "acceptable" mods. Other than that, my truck is as original as the day it rolled off the line. 7,600 miles and slowly counting. He made his 5th appearance in the local Christmas Parade two weeks ago!
Worst case, your mods reduced value by exactly the cost to restore it to original.

Realistically, the dash mod reduced it by half that amount.

The GP mod is probably a nonissue for most people, assuming it works ok.

That CUCV is probably the nicest one I've seen.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s not 100% original so it’s not worth as much. Period.
Factory look or not, you will always be able to tell something had been there.
Radio, speakers, wiring etc.

The glow plug system works great as designed when properly maintained.
Still don't understand why people remove components, cut and splice wiring, install buttons, etc.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s not 100% original so it’s not worth as much. Period.
Factory look or not, you will always be able to tell something had been there.
Radio, speakers, wiring etc.

The glow plug system works great as designed when properly maintained.
Still don't understand why people remove components, cut and splice wiring, install buttons, etc.
One man's "quality customization" is another man's "booger welded hack job".

The trend repeats itself over and over again in various hobbies. Something exists in reasonable quantity and price is extremely low compared to what you get. The vast majority of whatever it is get modified. When supply diminishes, it becomes difficult to find examples that haven't been hacked on. The unmolested ones are worth a fortune. The rest are good for parts.

The absolute worst example of this is all the M1903A3 military rifles that were "improved" by chopping them into sporting rifles.

I predict we'll see it repeat with the bobbed deuce crowd. The most egregious example here are the LWB M928s that had their frames shortened and lost an axle.

Every one that is hacked on just increases the value of the ones that aren't.

MarcusOReallyus

Oh get off your holier-than-thou high horse. There are good reasons for all of those. You don't like it? Fine, it's your truck, do what you want with it. Nobody's telling you you have to modify it.

sandcobra164

No cutting and splicing done on the glowplug mod. I simply used a drill bit to slightly enlarge the hole on the factory ring terminal to adapt it to the 12 volt lug located right next to the relay. No wiring was cut to install the CD player as well. Add a fuse set up to the original fuse panel (no shoving an extra blade into a socket). Ran wires to the speakers and that's the only non factory wiring in the truck. I like to listen to music while driving, a 6.2 turning 2,500 rpm while driving 45 to 50 mph does not sound much like a symphony. As for the glow plug system modification, what is "normal maintenance" on a glow plug system? Ohm check them at what frequency as part of pre-op checks? Most people check them after a few have burned out and swollen causing a non or hard start. Once one goes on the factory set up, the rest go in short order. That happened to me which is why I switched over. I probably de-valued it as well when I changed the oil the first time, the oil filter had no brand or logo on it. All it had stamped was the NSN of the filter.

cucvrus

DSCF4272.jpgThe absolute worst example of this is all the M1903A3 military rifles

Hey I think I have one of them. I inherited a bunch of weapons. I recently traded an AK47 rifle for a chain saw. The rifle was lousy at cutting wood and I never needed it one time in over 20 years. The new Stihl has been a faithful side kick and very good return on the investment. But anyway. I do feel the same about hacking up any vehicles not just CUCV's. I hacked up many brand new trucks doing modifications. Cut some complete Ford F550 4 X 4 cab chassis down to the dash board and floor pan to make armored Swat trucks. Many chassis used to get cut up. They are only machines. And something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Many people do not see any value in the CUCV and few will pay decent money. I hand built a few I know. I was happy to just break even and get enough funding back to continue on my hobby. This time around I spent my lunch money on something different. But I will build a few more to sell I hope. Not many people like a screaming 4:56 geared pick up with no A/C and not any comfort. I drove them for 20+ years. I agree. And the M1009 is very utilitarian by design so that is what it is and no changing that. But to try and make it any more is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Still a sow and the lipstick looks real nice but I'm not ready to marry it. Sell it and build another one. I went thru many in my time. Happy Holidays. Keep them just the way you like them. Heck I have a good running M1009 (Terminus) that just needs the lipstick and can't get $2500. for it. So I just run it and it keeps going. Needs a little cosmetic and maybe mechanical fine tuning and work. But none the same. Hang'em high and just keep going. This M1009 is no longer original. Never will be again. I changed the frame. So be it. Not the first one and not the last.

Last edited:

Chevybrit

This thread is going a little sideways :cry:

In the end a truck is just a truck ... if your bag is original, great :beer:
If you want to ad a stereo, happy days :naner:

If its about an investment then go to a dealer ask about an unsold 2013ish sat on the lot ford nissan honda scoobydoo whatever... get a good cash deal
get it delivered and store in up on blocks in a climate controlled garage.
Wait 30 years and join the said models forum and be Lorded forever as a dyed in the wool purist and trailer your mint car/truck/turbo charged wheelchair
to the shows/ meets with 10 miles on the clock and the nibblets still on the tires.. schooling your envious disciples on preserving the original bar code stickers on the rear window glass..

If like most people who purchase an older vehicle for the simple joy of being able to fix it ... I say drive it, modify it and love it ... especially if the monthly payment is zero...

sandcobra164

Nah, no popcorn needed. I respect members Tinstar, Cucvrus and 98G. I was only asking a question for an opinion. I know they want them to be all original and that's a good plan. I've modified mine ever so slightly to make it suit my needs. Next modification will be new tires. Mine is still sitting on the original Firestones from the factory. If anyone wants them, I'd only ask that you pay the shipping charge. I'd recommend that if you're interested enough, send me a set of wheels with newer tires on them. These have been glued together so long that they may tear to pieces when trying to demount.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not quite the purist you make me out to be. I like a lifted truck and big tires for instance.

When I mod one, I try to make the mods bolt-on and reversible. Or if I'm doing something rather extreme, I'll start by working with one that isn't a particularly rare variant, or isn't a pristine example.

If I'm going to do a driveline swap, may as well start with one with a blown engine. If I'm going to do tube doors and paint, I may as well start with one with a bad paint job and damaged doors. That kind of thing.

My impression also, is that even people who want to have mods, prefer to start with a truck that hasn't yet been tampered with. Meaning that mods, even to those who want that specific mod, don't add much value.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks