• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best ideas for sgock exhaust replacement.

pinwormfood

Hey fellas, I have a 84 M1009 with a 4 inch rancho lift (leaf in front, shackle flip in rear) and the exhaust is shot. I've been riding around in it for a while and it's starting to get on my nerves..
the pipes, and mufflers are all needing to be replaced.
my question is:

I am running a stock 6.2 motor and dont have an immediate plans for putting on a turbo...so I would like to know what is the best exhaust design for the motor? diameter of pipe, single or dual pipe? type of muffler, and where to exit.

the guy doing the exhaust wants like $280 to go from headers, to what he called a turbo mufflers, and then exit in front of the rear wheels....another $100 to bring it behind the wheels due to the bends it needs.

can you guys give me so suggestions on what to do. these engines are dogs..and going up the mountain from my place to vegas is like a 4000 ft increase and my truck cant keep speed and only gets about 35-40 mph. I;d like to make it better, but certainly not worse.

thanks for any and all help.
pinworm

jake 03

I bought a Hooker headers dual exhaust kit and a pair summit chambered mufflers for about 250.00 bucks from summit racing. The pipes are mandrel bent and come out behind the tires in the factory location and they sound amazing.
You just have to order it for a blazer with a 350.

Cucvnut

I bought a Hooker headers dual exhaust kit and a pair summit chambered mufflers for about 250.00 bucks from summit racing. The pipes are mandrel bent and come out behind the tires in the factory location and they sound amazing.
You just have to order it for a blazer with a 350.

how can he run this exhaust when he has a 6.2 Diesel motor? headers for that motor are like 700 bucks.

Pin, turbo mufflers are just mufflers packed with steel wool type stuff and are restrictive vs a flowmaster which is free flowing.

I would ask the guy to run the same set up but with flow masters.

kassim503

I am going to recommend a walker tru-fit or pro-fit muffler. With such a low revving, small displacement, no horsepower engine the stock 2.25" dual exhaust flows perfectly fine. I notice no hp changes between open manifold and a full exhaust system. The only difference is your ears aren't bleeding with the motor wrapped out heading uphill.:p

Hasdrubal

I'm running Walker quiet flow 3 mufflers, Part # 22329. Second set now, nice subdued sound. Tried one Walker # 18274 which was cheaper. Didn't like the sound it was louder, so changed it. I think the motor makes enough sound on its own and doesn't need augmenting with some racy booming sounding exhaust. Also, the #18274 doesn't have the mounting bracket on the back side of muffler, so you would have to cut the old one off and weld onto new muffler.

On another note, my left down pipe from the exhaust manifold is all rusty like it was recovered from Truk lagoon. While the right one is mint, clean shiny metal, like its stainless or something. Anyone else have this, is this just a age difference or materials? And where would one source one of these, as it looks like I'll be needing one in the future.

pinwormfood

how can he run this exhaust when he has a 6.2 Diesel motor? headers for that motor are like 700 bucks.

Pin, turbo mufflers are just mufflers packed with steel wool type stuff and are restrictive vs a flowmaster which is free flowing.

thanks for the info. is there any backpressure needs for a diesel motor? and stock diameter pipe with a set of flowmasters are the way to go? the guy also had glass packs available as well. would they be ok. i'm not so much woried about the noise. I have been driving around for 3 months with a hole in the muffler the size of an old secretary's ass.
I appreciate any more info you have. thanks, pin

...or vice-versa. I've seen several results saying flowmasters flow worse than a lot of other mufflers.

Really, any exhaust is an upgrade from the stock mufflers (which are like bricks surrounded by metal), but still, you can only expect to gain 1-2 HP, at the most, from upgrading the exhaust.

jake 03

The brand name is hooker,you get an exhaust system for a 350 with factory exhaust manifolds as smallblocks and the 6.2 share the same exhaust pipe connections. Like I said the whole brand new exhaust system cost 250.00 for everything from the manifolds back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks