• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best laid plans...

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the fuel pressure is good after the final filters then the problem is in the injection pump itself. Which the common failures in the injection pump are the button on the hydraulic head, or the fuel shutoff sticking.
Thanks for the data...I only wish I had the truck home so I could be working on this myself.

The "button", I had read about it with other threads the day the deuce went into the shop, but could you tell me what the button refers to? The Plunger Bore Screw maybe?

I don't think it's the shut off sticking as that happened to me once, at least it seemed like it: I had stopped for fuel, turned it off and when I went to start it up nothing happened, no turn over, nothing. I jiggled the shut off, pushed it in in case it was still pulled out in some way, didn't feel like it moved, but right after that it started up.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it's the shut off sticking as that happened to me once, at least it seemed like it: I had stopped for fuel, turned it off and when I went to start it up nothing happened, no turn over, nothing. I jiggled the shut off, pushed it in in case it was still pulled out in some way, didn't feel like it moved, but right after that it started up.
The fuel shut off would have nothing to do with the engine not turning over. That would be an electrical issue.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on your repairs and travels! By the time you get it home, you will have learned more about your truck than you would have known by just reading. Breakdowns make an ordinary trip into an adventure :driver::-D

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel shut off would have nothing to do with the engine not turning over. That would be an electrical issue.
That was my thought too, though I considered that the shut off could have an electrical cut-off built in as well. Suppose it was just a coincidence, as it only happened the one time. I've looked at an electrical diagram for the dash, maybe I should pull stuff apart and clean some contacts.

I suspect this thing will give me no end of projects.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: Word from the company working on the injection pump is the fuel transfer pump is shot and unfixable ("impossible" was the word they used). However they've said it can easily be bypassed with an aftermarket pump.

Might be able to pick it up in a few days...finally!

Recently bought two sets of 46" tires and I need a way to transport them.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: Word from the company working on the injection pump is the fuel transfer pump is shot and unfixable ("impossible" was the word they used). However they've said it can easily be bypassed with an aftermarket pump.

Might be able to pick it up in a few days...finally!

Recently bought two sets of 46" tires and I need a way to transport them.
Do my multifuels have fuel transfer pumps? I'm confused. Should they be bypassed?

For the tires, try U-Haul or U-Ship.

Last edited:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
should have a electric intank, can get a surplus parker replacement off ebay for about $60, probably cheaper then a good inline and likely more reliable, but not as handy for a quick fix
I haven't posted in a while, that was "tongue in cheek". Beltfed on ebay for pumps. I've had more problems with in tank pumps over the years than IP's.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
notsure-1.jpg

Maybe if the tires were way out of my area, but shipping a little over a ton of tires would cost more than I would want to spend and y'know what, I own a cargo truck!

Last edited:

rustystud

Do my multifuels have fuel transfer pumps? I'm confused. Should they be bypassed?

All our injection pumps have the "booster pump" bolted on the side. It takes the in-tank fuel pump pressure of 10 psi and boosts it to over 60 psi . You can probably pick one up pretty cheap from a number of members here. Just put an "add" in the "wanted section" and you will probably have more offers then you know what to do with.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I agree with Rusty.

Sorry I'm late to the thread, but since the shop isn't familiar with these injection pumps, I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt. Post up EXACTLY what they say is wrong and we can try to help out.

Just so you know, the FDC only serves to restrict your fuel delivery to the motor. Its has nothing to do with the ability to run alternative fuels.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt. Post up EXACTLY what they say is wrong and we can try to help out.
This is somewhat of a moot point. The truck is broken down 500 miles away. I don't have the resources to just pop down there and try and work on it, I have to trust someone to get it running. While it was there, I had the shop do some general maintenance (change the fan belts, flush the fuel tank) as well.

I was told the shop (Diesel Injectors in Portland) working on the fuel injection pump had rebuilt them in the past and is returning the somewhat fixed pump to be reinstalled. The Freightliner shop, in La Grande where my truck is at is the shop that initially didn't have a mechanic that knew anything about the truck - though I did come to learn they did have one, he was just off the day I came in.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Fair enough. If you have any questions you'd like answered but don't feel like typing, PM me a number and we can talk on the phone.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally made it home. The repair shop was starting to drag their heels and they kept telling me they'd get to it as they can, "but the boss"... So, I called the boss and he seemed anxious to get it out the door and got everyone back on track.

On the way back I picked up 12 Michelin G20's from JBLM in WA, and a wheel dolly.

I also ran out of fuel on the highway, fuel gauge is faulty and I knew I was low just didn't know that low.

AAA helped me out. In case anyone was wondering, AAA won't help you if you have one of these, however I just needed some fuel to the next gas station (a few miles away) so I was a little vague on the phone - I did tell them the year, make and model, but when they asked if it was a pickup, I said yes. The tow truck driver that pulled up didn't care and thought the truck was cool.

A few blossoms were harmed pulling into the driveway.
20170429_103811.jpg

I still need to modify the neighbor's fence (they gave me permission) to pull it up far enough to allow me to fit my 14' car in the driveway.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is that an addition to the stock exhaust or did someone put an 800 series exhaust top on the deuce?
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

The previous owner told me he replaced the exhaust tubing under the fender because it had rusted out. I assume the small muffler was put on by him at the time because he also told me he put the bend at the top to prevent some water from falling straight down the stack.

I took some db readings with a decibel app for me phone. I've read such things aren't particularly accurate, but that said, at idle inside the cab sound is at 75db, at 55mph sound is at 77db. From what I've read about other deuces this is **** near as quiet as a graveyard.

rustystud

Finally made it home. The repair shop was starting to drag their heels and they kept telling me they'd get to it as they can, "but the boss"... So, I called the boss and he seemed anxious to get it out the door and got everyone back on track.

On the way back I picked up 12 Michelin G20's from JBLM in WA, and a wheel dolly.

I also ran out of fuel on the highway, fuel gauge is faulty and I knew I was low just didn't know that low.

AAA helped me out. In case anyone was wondering, AAA won't help you if you have one of these, however I just needed some fuel to the next gas station (a few miles away) so I was a little vague on the phone - I did tell them the year, make and model, but when they asked if it was a pickup, I said yes. The tow truck driver that pulled up didn't care and thought the truck was cool.

A few blossoms were harmed pulling into the driveway.
View attachment 678203

I still need to modify the neighbor's fence (they gave me permission) to pull it up far enough to allow me to fit my 14' car in the driveway.
Looks like you live in a nice Seattle neighborhood. I grew-up in Ballard myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks