• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best motor oil for MEP-002a

Triple Jim

You mentioned cold weather, but you're in Tennessee. Are you referring to Tennessee winters? I'm in northern NC, and have had no problems with 15-40 on a cold morning, which rarely gets lower than about 15F here.

You may know already, but I believe Rotella's synthetic oil is actually not synthetic, but rather conventional oil that meets the standards of a synthetic, so it's allowed to be called that. My feeling is that these generators don't run particularly hot, or have any special requirements, so spending a lot of money on special oil is not going to accomplish anything beneficial. Of course, others may disagree. :)

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I can't speak for the 002 in particular but I can speak to diesel motors. We use lots of Diesel engines around the oilfield. Many are stationary pump motors and smaller units like light plants.

I am in Mississippi and our winters will be similar unless you are in the hills. We rarely ever change from 15-40. And those motors run all day everyday, rain sleet hail or snow.

If it's cool when you need it give it ample time to get to temp before you throw a heavy load on it. You really can't idle it to temp like most diesels but be as gentle as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmxenbrett

In NY we always use 15w40 all year. Unit should be warmed up prior to loading. Rotella is a good diesel oil. Synthetic really isnt needed ad most people change there oil in the generator due to age not hours.

Guyfang

Staff member
You know, we used OE/HDO-30, (above 32 deg, and OE/HDO-10 for 40 deg to -15 deg) for years, in everything. I never saw and 002 or 003 have engine damage, due to crappy oil. Lack of oil, yes.

Why, well first off OE-30 isn't crappy oil, and second off, the engines are made to run on OE-30. If they run just fine on OE-30, then that's just what I would use. I have never thought putting expensive oil in army generators made a lot of difference. Maybe if you were going to run 24/7 for 6-12 months, but even then, I just don't think is going to make a difference. We ran 60 KW's for 24/7, years at a time. Everything in the world broke on them. But an engine that came apart because of poor lubrication? Unheard of. Low compression? Unheard of. Bad oil pump, bad water pump causing the motor to come apart, yeah, every once in awhile. And that was only when someone had the engine safeties bypassed.

As long as you have good oil pressure in a 002 or 003, you don't have a real reason to worry. If it makes you sleep better, then spend more money.