• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best one stop shop for bolts/lockwashers/fittings?

CGregson

Is there a "best" web site to source all the fittings/bolts/lockwashers I'm going to need? Or do others default to the local hardware store?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Grade 8 bolts, if you have Tractor Supply near you , they sell them buy the pound, great deal

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Grade 8 bolts, if you have Tractor Supply near you , they sell them buy the pound, great deal
I concur and their grade 5 are green coated and blend in well without having to touch them up + sold by the pound. They also sell nylon lock nuts in black that also can not be beat in price by the pound. Only challenge for this city slicker is that I have to stock up o n road as none in New Orleans.

I find Lowes has a better selection than home depot. I do have a super home depot that does have nuts and bolts on both sides of the aisle with a good selection but it is downtown and I am in the suburbs.

ryanruck

I'd echo the above about Lowe's selection being better than Home Depot but, the quantity they usually have in stock (namely Grade 8 stuff) is lacking so they're good for ones and twos of stuff.

For quantity and price, Fastenal is a better local option.

avlon01

My Ace Hardware always has everything I need.

I also have a Home Depot, Fastnel, and Lowes all within a 20 min drive, so I can usually get any fastner I need.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Local Fastenal, I just got back from my local one got some 8M allen head cap screws in black.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Around here the first stop will be Tractor Supply, the next stop is Rural King, The next is Fastenal. I bypass the Lowe's and Home Depot. They never have any of the sizes and grade I need. If it is really a difficult piece, then McMaster-Carr is the go to standard. If it is a weird metric piece, then I go overseas. https://www.accu.co.uk/en/ and http://www.tme.eu/en/

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are not in a hurry, deals can be had on ebay. Surplus dealers often end up with large lots of a single size fastener. I bought 5# grade 8 1/2" nylocks a while back for likely a dollar or two over shipping cost. I maintain a fair inventory of SAE grade 8 stuff (and everything else) in my contact truck.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed! I hate going to the local Hardware store. For what cost $100 at the local hardware store, is around $30 it seems. Another Tractor Supply recommend.

Stonewall

I'd echo the above about Lowe's selection being better than Home Depot but, the quantity they usually have in stock (namely Grade 8 stuff) is lacking so they're good for ones and twos of stuff.

For quantity and price, Fastenal is a better local option.

I agree here. The box stores have a huge mark-up, and if you are buying a bunch, or if you are going with any stainless, you will want to shop around to some of the industrial suppliers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks