• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best or good cb radio?

snowtrac nome

I used to use rci 2910's had a few connectors to change over for 11 meter coverage, I liked the way they worked. I had some issues with cold solder joints on the boards I hear they changed the assembly procedures to fix it. as I now spend most of my time on 2 meter and am licensed as a general class armature I don't use 11 meter any more. the tech license is pretty easy to get I would suggest getting one, and use the uhf or vhf network in your area you will find a lot more traffic on frequency's with irlp nodes attached

dmetalmiki

C.B. only? I use cobra 148 gtldx s..(with K7 antennas) had them years. 'go' everywhere I need. We have a superstar in one of the trucks..just different ranges. (frequencies).
I still have my Royce 23 channell, must be a collectors piece by now..there was only ONE! cb er when I got it! 200 miles away at the time. How things have changed....

snowtrac nome

my opinion is unless you are just using it for chit chat between cars or convoy opps with unlicensed operators not going ham you are missing out on a world of fun with the internet radio linking project on line you can have global communications off of nothing more than a handheld radio. met a lot of real interesting folks that way

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not going to browbeat you over the CB vs the HAM debate. But I'll say this, I only had a passing interest in the ham radio stuff. Then swbradley1 had a contest to give away a handheld radio to those of us to get a license. Two years later, I now have the extra certification. I've had loads of fun in this hobby. Field days, fox hunts, working HF, weekly nets, and monthly club meetings.

85CUCVtom

I had a Uniden in my Jeep for years. It was used and abused and I never had a problem. I would buy another one if I wasn't into ham stuff now.

I hate to be this guy but I have to encourage you to explore ham radio. The technician license is really easy to acquire. Ever since I got my ham license I haven't touched my CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Installing communications equipment for 25+ years I try not to mess with any of them in my spare time. Lol. I just know a few years ago the Cobra line of CB's really went down hill while Uniden seemed to improve. Uniden now offers a wireless/rechargeable speaker mic that will work from over 100' feet away from the radio. I've only done a couple of those but the guys that I got them for really likes them. I've never used one myself. Occasionally I order in a CB unit that is 12/24 volts that seems well built and reliable.

Dave

Another Ahab

I figure this is good place to ask, as you all have a strong knowledge base and some professional experience.
What's a good Christmas unit that will work well and not need upgrading later?
I apologize that I don't know radios.

It's just that I had a buddy growing up whose dad was former OSS, and then CIA (I might be "disappeared" soon for typing that), and my buddy (like his dad) was a HAM. So that's why I like to listen in on the radio chatter.

But what please is a "Christmas unit"? That one is evading me.

So, back to question 2, is the radio I found a fair deal?
Will it do what all I'll need without my needing to replace it in a year?
I know nadda about this. No clue what the different frequencies mean. No clue about transmitting powers etc.

Another Ahab

I know nadda about this. No clue what the different frequencies mean. No clue about transmitting powers etc.
Somebody else in the the club! Now I don't feel so lonely. :jumpin:

85CUCVtom

I think the CB band is supposed to be limited to 4 watts. It's a hot rodded radio, I don't know the value of stuff like that.

Keep in mind that the 10 meter and 12 meter bands are restricted to amateur license holders only. So you would need a ham license to operate legally on those bands. The 11 meter band is the CB band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: