• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to mount antenna

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the vehicle is the ground plane, center mounted will give the widest coverage in all directions. Strongest signal will bein the direction from the antenna to the opposite corner of the truck. Depends on which way you think you will need to communicate the most, in front of you, behind you, or to your left or right.

rmgill

I'm thinking a long whip antenna thwapping back and forth against the cab might not be the best thing though. Hence the ability to pull it back from the bumper position and it would be lower. Also, as a long 110" whip I'm going to have good signal. Obviously if it's off the front bumper the ground plan will be biased behind. How much does the shape of the ground plane in relation to the antenna mount affect the propagation as a percentage of range?

schnackj

I have some rotary pneumatic actuators i've been deaming of making into an antenna flip up/down setup.
If its just for a CB, I'd go with a shorter antenna on the roof or a bar mounted behind the cab.

rmgill

Well, I'm going for looks in part. I sorta like the humongous whip antenna thing. :-D

Besides, a 1/4 wavelength unloaded whip is better than a loaded whip of 1/8" wave length.

I'll probably also add in a kit to make a full wave antenna using ~35' of insulated wire I can string from a line hung from a suitable tree like they did with WWII ground stations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks