• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to tap 24 volt in engine bay

M1165A1

Putting in a 24V compressor which will be mounted near the windshield washer tank. Also a storage tank somewhere, location TBD. This will be for airing up after off roading.

Thinking it through I'd like to tap some 24V power within the engine bay. The compressor draws up to 22 - 24 amps at full duty, so I need to find a decent place to tap.

I will probably connect the power through a relay with a switch somewhere on the dash so the compressor won't run full time.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best place to tap into power? And should my power source be tied to the vehicle being on, or full time 24 volt? I can't see needing to run the compressor without the engine or at least vehicle switch on.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Putting in a 24V compressor which will be mounted near the windshield washer tank. Also a storage tank somewhere, location TBD. This will be for airing up after off roading.

Thinking it through I'd like to tap some 24V power within the engine bay. The compressor draws up to 22 - 24 amps at full duty, so I need to find a decent place to tap.

I will probably connect the power through a relay with a switch somewhere on the dash so the compressor won't run full time.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best place to tap into power? And should my power source be tied to the vehicle being on, or full time 24 volt? I can't see needing to run the compressor without the engine or at least vehicle switch on.
Just be sure to put a fuse or circuit breaker on the air compressor...