• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Radiator, and oil cooler source.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, i am back again. please let me know if is should post on the same thread i started or if it is ok to start a new one for sourcing some parts.
i recently posted about my 6.5l NA blowing a piston and cylinder and i have already sourced a freshly rebuilt 6.5L Turbo, even though the new engine comes with a transmission (4L80E), i am keeping my existing 4 speeds transmission (4L80E).
so, the question for this thread is, where are you guys sourcing good radiators and oil coolers. also, i am in South Florida where there is no hills and no desert, am i good with the same size oil cooler? the reason i want to get new one? it is a lot of disassembly to remove the radiator and a uncomfortable work due to the position of everything in these trucks. i do prefer to install new and forget about it than replacing a couple of months and go through everything i am going now.
i know i need a new dog house (Turbo), lift the body, however, any suggestion for the front end otr drive train while i am at it?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If everything is in good condition I would just clean and check everything.
I would have the local radiator shop check out and clean the radiator, I would dissemble the oil cooling system (hoses and cooler) and have it flushed just in case some of what got loose it the engine found its way there, (not too likely but just the same) the same local shop should be able to do that, if not check with the local transmission shop.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the guys here ran the short radiator on his GMV after switching from 6.2/3 speed to 6.5T/4 speed and didn't have any issues.

If you aren't pushing it hard then you're unlikely to have any real issues. They extra cooling was needed on trucks weighing 14k lbs driving through sand in 120 degree heat. If you're talking 100 degree or less, in a truck weighing 5-8k lbs, and on hard surfaces, I seriously doubt it will matter too much.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the guys here ran the short radiator on his GMV after switching from 6.2/3 speed to 6.5T/4 speed and didn't have any issues.

If you aren't pushing it hard then you're unlikely to have any real issues. They extra cooling was needed on trucks weighing 14k lbs driving through sand in 120 degree heat. If you're talking 100 degree or less, in a truck weighing 5-8k lbs, and on hard surfaces, I seriously doubt it will matter too much.
a little bit of off roading avery once in a while but not crazy

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hummer H1’s use the same size Radiator as Non-ECV HMMWV….
Send out your existing radiator for a cleaning and pressure test, many many of these trucks are subject to
salt water emersion and it plays havoc on these radiators regardless of the age.
You don’t need an ECV radiator to run a turbo motor, and it’s a bit more complicated to change over than just adding a
radiator.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH is the man.

FYI...

On my H1 which is currently supercharged, I sent out the unit for a re-core with a 4 core dimpled core. Soon I will be swapping in a P400 turbocharged unit with the same radiator.

I added a few bells and whistles but they might be less necessary... One thing I'm adding is a separate water spray that will spray the radiator on hot days when I'm pulling my M1101. The other things I've already added are water/methanol injection and EGT sensors. I also moved the temp sensor from the front to the rear of the block (heat issues seem to damage the rear of the block).

Last edited:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH is the man.

FYI...

On my H1 which is currently supercharged, I sent out the unit for a re-core with a 4 core dimpled core. Soon I will be swapping in a P400 turbocharged unit with the same radiator.

I added a few bells and whistles but they might be less necessary... One thing I'm adding is a separate water spray that will spray the radiator on hot days when I'm pulling my M1101. The other things I've already added are water/methanol injection and EGT sensors. I also moved the temp sensor from the front to the rear of the block (heat issues seem to damage the rear of the block).
Where did you place the EGT probe? Could you please share details about your water/methanol injection system? Maybe pictures?
I searched the whole HMMWV forum and found only two water/ methanol mentions, both by you.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you place the EGT probe? Could you please share details about your water/methanol injection system? Maybe pictures?
Unfortunately I had them installed at a place in California however I have the receipt and I will dig it out. Because of that I cannot remember which water injection methanol injection are utilized.

EGT probe is on the right side exhaust manifold rear aspect.