• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Rear Spring Option for Bobbed Deuce

Dirtygrunt

I bobbed my truck with the air spring from a peterbuilt (still have a kit for sale) and it was pretty much a bolt in kit I posted lots of pics. There are different kits on the big trucks, a member here used air ride from a feightliner and I think he had quite a bit of fab in that kit..

samsimpson

I have trailer springs on mine, simple bolt on. The rear actually flexes fine, maybe due to the spring rate, so I think the outside the frame mounting isn't so critical. It flexes more than I would like it to, I can't imagine those springs under the frame for more articulation.

PROSTOCKTOM

I bobbed my truck with the air spring from a peterbuilt (still have a kit for sale) and it was pretty much a bolt in kit I posted lots of pics. There are different kits on the big trucks, a member here used air ride from a feightliner and I think he had quite a bit of fab in that kit..
Do you still have that extra air ride setup?

I might possible be interested in it after the holidays are over.

I'm thinking why not just go for it now and forget the springs.

Tom

clb076

I am having the same dilemma. I think I am going to chop the trailer frame and bolt it to the bottom of the deuce frame using 1/2" plate.....This looks to be the easiest option. I really wanted to go with 53's, guess I'll just have to get another project truck! :D

Attachments

Coondawg

I've all but completed my bob since I first posted at #2. The easiest part of the whole deal for me was mounting the trailer springs and mounting the axle. I clamped the springs on and started drilling holes and had them mounted in no time. My springs were bolted the trailer frame, which made removing them easy. Some may be riveted, and that would cause some extra time. The spring perches, plates, 2' lift blocks, and ubolts worked like a champ. The perches have a hole for locating tabs, as do the blocks, springs, and plates. It worked out just like any other lifted pickup where blocks are used. I've never tried it the other way (using the trailer frame section), but all that cutting, drilling, and lining up seems like more work to me. Granted, I have a welder, which made my process possible, but the process can be done without custom spring perches like on the xm381.com website. I'll attach some pictures of my setup. For me, mounting the frame end cap with the pintle hitch, bumperettes, tail light mounts, and airlines was more time consuming. Coon

Attachments

clb076

I think I am going to order the brackets from Ballistic Fab. What part number or what size bracket did you request in order to fit the trailer springs. Also, What size U-Bolts did you go with and where did you get them?

Thanks for the help,

CLB

Coondawg

The spring perches are part# BRK-ROC-1110-1. Plates are part number BRK-1070-16. I think they are a bargain and I'm very happy with the quality. They took a full 2 weeks to get though. Apparently they make them when you order, although their website doesn't say that anywhere. I couldn't have bought the steel and a 5/8" drill bit where I live and come out much cheaper. Both are for a 2.5" spring, and a 3.5" axle. I got my Ubolts from Dsuban Spring Service and was very pleased. I had the ubolts in 2 days. I ordered 5/8" x 3.5" x 15". 15" was a little long, but I wanted a little extra in case I made a mistake or had to add a taller block or something. I ended up cutting about 1" off each one of them. Double check all these dimensions and part numbers though to make sure they jive with what you have. Coon

indy4x4fab

Banned
Get you a cheap m200a1 trailer an use the rear springs off it. It is a 2.5 ton trailer after all. I have them plus hangers. We could ship them SS freight, if times not an issue.

Welder Sam

i have an m200, m105a3, and an m35a2w/w(running) and im going to use the front springs from the winch truck for my crew cab. im building on a nice 109a3 chassis. it could still go the other way tho. build on the winch truck and part the 109 tho i doubt it as the 109 is the nicer truck

ivbeenrokd

I know this is an old thread. Has anyone used m105 springs on a full length bobber? I'm planning to do a crew cab with 105 bed and debating between 105 springs and front deuce springs on the rear.

thanks

Welder Sam

I know this is an old thread. Has anyone used m105 springs on a full length bobber? I'm planning to do a crew cab with 105 bed and debating between 105 springs and front deuce springs on the rear.

thanks
I went ahead with front springs and im glad i did. When i hook to a trailer(camper or tool wagon) i really notice it now. Id think with lighter springs, it would squat alot more. However, it all depends on what youre going to use it for..

Section8

I have to ask cuz I am probably gonna bob my 1956 M135 and wanna make sure I don't over load the axle.
If each axle is rated at 2.5 tons on my rig and M35a2/a3's, to make the 10 000lbs payload, then bobbing it one axle should be loaded no more than the 2.5 tons/ 5000lbs?
How is it some guys use 5 ton front springs? That would mean you are able to load the truck with more weight and have very little spring compression. Does it not also mean you are over loading the axles rating in itself? Sure you could haul a house but your axle will fold in half won't it?
I am not quite sure what the duece and M135 front springs are rated for but I believe it is around 7000lbs. Please correct me if I am wrong!
If it is then is this still not over the axles load rating???
I want to bob my rig but also be able to haul a decnt load with out having my axle fold like a toothpick.
Anyone shed some light on this please!

Section8

Bumpity bump bump.
Still wondering what the best load rating for spring pack would be for my bobbed. I don't want to replace axles yet want to be able to haul more than 2 tons if I need to. Plus have a decent not hard as nails ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks