• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best sealant/glue for ducting

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had hell with ducting for my project, I purchase this duct a couple years ago and got home before taking it out of the box and seeing the upper and lower section had completely separated, I bought one last week only to get home before noticing it was missing a piece making it unusable, I think I see a pattern here:eek:
Anyway it looks like the duct is made out of ABS plastic so I ask the great collective here on suggestions on the best sealant/bonding to use on this.
It would be MUCH easier to apply if it came in a caulking type tube as there is about 12 feet of bead to lay.
I will also rough up the surface which appears to be the failing point of the original bonding material.
Duct.jpg

Reactions: OBX

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a close fitting joint you might be able to use ABS pipe glue. I have used that on ABS ducting, and it worked great. For larger gaps I have used JB weld Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive, and Permatex Plastic Welder. If you want a dual syringe with a gun and mixing nozzle, you can get those from McMaster Carr, but expensive.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a close fitting joint you might be able to use ABS pipe glue. I have used that on ABS ducting, and it worked great. For larger gaps I have used JB weld Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive, and Permatex Plastic Welder. If you want a dual syringe with a gun and mixing nozzle, you can get those from McMaster Carr, but expensive.
I actually have the gun and mixing tips that I use to dispense potting material.

Reactions: OBX

87cr250r

Epoxies bond well to ABS. I would consider using some fiberglass tape to fill the gap and using an epoxy resin such as West System, available at your local boat hardware store.

If you can close the seam use an adhesive polyurethane sealant. 3M 5200 is a favorite but not UV resistant. Your local auto body store should carry body seam sealer and panel bonding adhesives which are polyurethane and UV stabilized.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's something you might possibly need to remove at some point in the future, epoxy is a bit overkill

I like using DAP Ultraclear or Lexel clear sealant on things. Great, flexible bond, but can be completely removed later if needed (unlike RTV)

EDIT: it was silicone I was thinking of when I said RTV. Once silicone is used, you have to mechanically remove it by removing the top surface of whatever it was applied to.

Last edited:

AAVP7

Acetone is a great solvent for ABS. Only problem is that it evaporates so quickly that it is sometimes difficult to apply.

I´ve made myself a "slurry" of ABS chunks dissolved in acteone, so this slurry could be applied with a brush. Great for glueing larger ABS parts, and after the acetone evaporates, the ABS is cold-welded.
Just do this outdoors or in a well ventilated place, however.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks