• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best solution for a steering column?

HelluvaEngineer

My M1009 comes out of the body shop this week or next. The next thing on my punch list is the steering column. It has the following issues:
  • Reverse is not engaging well. You have to put it in reverse then push down on the selector to make it grab.
  • Speaking of which, the gear selector indicator needle has broken off.
  • Turn signal disconnect not working
  • All levers look rusty and terrible
  • I want to swap out the ignition key since my understanding is they are all the same and there are a few of these things near me
I'm very open to doing it myself if I can find parts (part numbers seem to be hard to find). However, I keep getting ads for $200 steering columns from Jegs etc (probably POS made in China). Online services want $600+ to rebuild.

Any suggestions on the smartest option for accomplishing the above? I don't really care about tilt but I would consider it. Many thanks!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a tilt steering in mine that I got out of a 1992 blazer...paid 50$ for it and had the key in it ready to go...my 15 year old son swapped it out by himself...not hard at all...can get the linkage lined up right at the same time as long as the transmission is ok. I needed the tilt...the pivots can come loose in those but are simple to fix as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Barrman

Swapping a better column as mentioned above is the easiest and cheapest way to get what you want. Tilt wheel looseness and wiper switch activation are the things to look out for. I think I am pretty good at working on stuff but those stupid wiper switches have always gotten the best of me. But, if you do get a column with intermittent wipers. Be sure and get the module that goes with it. Everything is plug and play thankfully.

MarcusOReallyus

• I want to swap out the ignition key since my understanding is they are all the same and there are a few of these things near me

The lock is easy. Buy a set of 3 cylinders, look up a how-to on YouTube, and done. I did it on mine, and I had never touched a lock before..

I got mine here. Good service, good quality. I got mine keyed alike, so I don't have to mess with two different keys.

HelluvaEngineer

Thanks for the tips @Barrman and @MarcusOReallyus . I had no idea you can swap out intermittent wipers. You can get a new production column for $599. I think by the time I buy $200 worth of parts and crack the thing open I will wish I got a new one.

One more question - my trans doesn't want to go into reverse anymore. You have to put it in reverse and then push down on the handle to make it catch. It just started doing this. Is that more likely some kind of bushing in the connection to the transmission? I don't see anything in the diagrams that make it look like it's anything internal to the column.

Last edited:

Barrman

The shift linkage is just a metal rod connecting the column to the transmission. I suggest you check each end for slop and maybe adjustments.

Gurney

I had someone try to steal my CUCV. It had a tilt column in it and they shattered the column. I got a non tilt M1008 column and put it in and now the ignition actuator rod is the wrong size or length. Got a non tilt switch and it is setup to be a pull ignition and not a push like it should be. I've search all over the forums and no one else seems to have this issues. . . Everyone states that it's simple plug and play. . Why are my rods different ?

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had someone try to steal my CUCV. It had a tilt column in it and they shattered the column. I got a non tilt M1008 column and put it in and now the ignition actuator rod is the wrong size or length. Got a non tilt switch and it is setup to be a pull ignition and not a push like it should be. I've search all over the forums and no one else seems to have this issues. . . Everyone states that it's simple plug and play. . Why are my rods different ?
When I swapped mine out I remember that part looking wrong...just flip the switch around and it'll work...take it off the metal bracket and turn it the way it should be.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gurney

I've read that as well. I will take another crack at it tomorrow. When I do have it hooked up to the white switch and the rod connected. At full back off it's at ACC one position on the switch. I've twisted the actuator rod to work to get it there. I will have to try out this move the switch thing. I just don't see how it can hook up any other way with the brackets. And I assume everyone uses the white switch that I had with it. Since the black one is setup all wonky as a pull switch ? Or is that the one that needs to be moved around ? Thank you for the reply.

cucvrus

Gurney

Ok. Someone needs to sticky these pics I'm going to post. I couldn't find any pics of the difference between tilt and non tilt ignition switches.

So this is a PSA for those that don't know and a whatever for reference for those that did know about it. 🙂👍🏻

Merry Christmas and here you go.

White is tilt configuration

Blue is non tilt configuration.
I never understood the flip it around reference lol. Til now.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. Someone needs to sticky these pics I'm going to post. I couldn't find any pics of the difference between tilt and non tilt ignition switches.

So this is a PSA for those that don't know and a whatever for reference for those that did know about it. 🙂👍🏻

Merry Christmas and here you go.

White is tilt configuration

Blue is non tilt configuration.
I never understood the flip it around reference lol. Til now.
Yup that's it! I had both columns out when I did mine so it was right in my face and didn't know it would go on if I flipped it, tried it and it fit...kinda like a light bulb goin on...I am big on swapping out everything on a part before I install a new one so it was not that hard to see. Glad you got it figured out!! Is the park nuetral switch or reverse light switch adjusted right now too? Mine was off some so it needed adjusted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks