• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best source for quality portal hub seals

Btharbold

Hello,

Recently purchased a 1045a2 and have been going over everything on the truck maintenance wise. Getting ready to do the blue hummer hub nut kits and since I will have the hubs open I figure might as well do input and output seals. I have seen some wet around the input seals on a couple and I’m sure with regular driving others won’t be far behind.

So far I have bought parts from several of the larger vendors.

Question is which vendor/manufacturer would have the best seals for this? Not sure who made the OEM seals, maybe CR. Would like to get the best parts I can.

Another question is on the shaft input seals, better to use the two seal setup or ditch the seal on the cv and use the single seal option in the retainer?

Thanks guys!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are CR seals #535094-60 and 534059 still the correct seals?
seal part number crossover To various mfg’s, the input and output seal type can be different, the only seal you want to install is the OEM type all black seal, seems the others just don’t cut it.

Btharbold

This was going to be my next question regarding the seals. Want to use the best quality possible. Saw some posts about the black plastic seals failing and some recommended seals with a metal shell.

I will go with the one piece upper seal. Seems less finicky on the install

Seems like I can do the input seal without pulling the bearing retainer or getting into the shims. Have to pick a place to stop. Going to pop the upper ball joint and try and do these with hubs still on truck.

Thanks!

papakb

So will someone please post the numbers for the more desirable ones so we can put this to bed? Those 2 numbers I posted are directly out of the -24P manual.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered the hub seal kits from HPG, says they are OEM seals, look like the all black ones. Will see how they do. Thanks
Once you get it apart if there is any pitting under the seal area a product called "speedy sleeve" I believe is the name, installs over the damaged area giving the seal a smooth surface. Severe corrosion in this area will be a weak point in the shaft so be mindful of this. I've got an wet hub and a sleeve in the parts box just haven't had time yet. The corrosion eat up a new seal just did not have a sleeve handy when I swapped it out when the truck arrived. My 2 cents.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have pictures of the speedy seals?
Sorry, too old and ornery to figure out how to post pictures and my tech guy is not here today. BUT stick SKF SPEEDI-SLEEVE into your favorite search engine and they have lots of pictures and instructions. I might add, when installing these keeping them and the surface CLEAN is IMPORTANT. The heavy "factory" seal seems to have a robust dust lip on the outside. This allows a room for water to set between the dust lip and oil seal on the half shaft, thus corrosion. If bad enough it would possible weaken the axel but it eats up new seals for sure. Any time I replaced a pinion seal on the KW's these were SOP. The pinions are softer metal and wore easily. I have a 99199 on the bench and I believe that is the correct one(it's been 4 or 5 years since I ordered it) 2 inch shaft. If someone has a shaft laying around a wants to put a mic on it feel free to correct me. I MAKE MISTAKES. Hope this helps.

Btharbold

Ordered fresh half shaft bolts from HPG too, will pull all the shafts while doing the hubs and will definitely check sealing surfaces to see how they look. We use speedi sleeves on the #6 drives on our go fast boat as the output shafts on those drives aren't stainless to handle the HP. Stainless speedi sleeves make for a good sealing surface.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks