• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best source of information for a newbie?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested in getting an M35, or maybe a 5 ton. Overall, I want to learn more about the various trucks, their capabilities, pros/cons, etc., but I don't know where to start.

I'm new to the world of military vehicles. I see lots of talk of M35, M35A2, M35A2C, etc. Is there a guide somewhere, describing the different models and variations? I tried searching, but couldn't find one (although I admit that I may have been searching for the wrong terms, since I'm new to the lingo).

Thanks,
Guido

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really did try to search before posting. When you do Google searches for things like "M35 model differences" it comes up with 100 pages of articles about Infiniti M35 cars and stuff.

Tlauden

Jatonka.Com, has all the TM's (manuals) and is a good place to start. They have one I believe at the top of the M35 page that is a guide for beginers, only a few pages long and covers the basics, a real good read!!

M35 is short for the full name

M35A2) Multi-fuel engine coupled with Manual tranny

M35A3) automatic tranny with a normal diesel and the headlights ore on the fenders

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually M35 is the cargo gasser with a 331 REO/Continental engine with non overdrive transmission.M35A1 is the first Milti with the LDS-427 engine.M35A2 is the LD465 (non-turbo) or LDT 465 (turbo) engines. They have an overdrive trans.M35A3 is the Cat powered one with an automatic.There's ALOT of smaller differences too. The manuals are here on site also.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and the A2C is the dropside. A "C" turbo is the whistler. A "D" turbo isn't. In the front of certain manuals it will give characteristics of the trucks. (click on the technical manuals at the top of the main page).

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I see the M35A3 is probably the most "modern". Do people typically go after / prefer those? Or do they shy away from them because they aren't multi-fuel? Are they significantly more expensive?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3's were built from A2's mostly in the 90's. They are all getting more expensive but Cat and Allison parts are way $$$$$.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3s use single rear wheels, instead of duals? So are they using the same tires as LMTVs/FMTVs? What diameter are M35 tires?

Tlauden

Actually M35 is the cargo gasser with a 331 REO/Continental engine with non overdrive transmission.M35A1 is the first Milti with the LDS-427 engine.M35A2 is the LD465 (non-turbo) or LDT 465 (turbo) engines. They have an overdrive trans.M35A3 is the Cat powered one with an automatic.There's ALOT of smaller differences too. The manuals are here on site also.
I stand corrected, I guess it goes to show you learn something new everyday, I always thought "M35" was because people were to lazy to put the A2 in, haha oops

3dAngus

Post #12 is the best bet. I am putting up another page link of it for you because the home page is not well info-mapped and finding a good index is not intuitive, but from here, you can find everything you need in the quick look format. It's better then most anything you will find for quick looks, research, data, and information. You should consider filling up your printer with ink and printing out some of these pages on the different vehicles for side by side comparison later.

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_www.php

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Except that olive drab is wrong in alot of their info on that page. I'd look in the manuals.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3's also have the CTIS system and power steering also and slow...I cruise at 45MPH. The CTIS IMO is nice when it works, but overly complicated and prone to all kinds of failure.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 is slower than the A2? I saw that the CAT engine was rated at nearly 2x the horsepower. What makes it go slower?

I like the idea of the single tires. Are they a simple bolt-on retrofit (e.g. change wheels), or do you have to change many other components (e.g. steering knuckles)?

Sorry for all the naive questions. I'll try to keep them contained to this single post, until I have more informed things to ask. There is just so much to learn about these trucks, before you can even start to learn about these trucks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put singles on any deuce. look for flipping hubs threads. A3's are definately slower.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cat 3116 170HP
Multi-fuel around 134 (depends on how you search)

I'd say gearing and the automatic transmission makes it slower.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
So I see the M35A3 is probably the most "modern". Do people typically go after / prefer those? Or do they shy away from them because they aren't multi-fuel? Are they significantly more expensive?
They are modern to a certain degree...they still use the deuce frame, running gear and cab (the sheet metal was modified to allow for the size of the CAT engine). The brake system was upgraded somewhat and the CTIS added along with the super single tires.

They are ugly and slow but some people swear by them and other people swear at them (put me in the latter catagory).

The CAT engine they put in the A3 has issues (according to those that know CAT's) and any engine painted yaller is going to cost you money when it breaks or needs parts...take that to the bank.

The price of the A3's has steadily decreased over the last few years....I remember when the first ones hit GL they were selling for over 12K.

Before I would buy an A3 I'd get a M900 series 5 ton....about the same money now and ten times more truck.

Just my humble opinion.....your milage may vary...always read directions before starting a new treatment for the Green Iron Fever. If symtoms persist consult you local MV doctor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks