• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Thing You've Found in Your CUCV

Dunegoon

Just picked one up from GL. Under the front of my m1031 I found a Dana 44. I was pissed!!! I noticed it right off but didn't say anything. Would it do any good? Someone had to bring it in and swap it out. None of them ever had Dana 44 fronts did they?

richingalveston

I would check your gear ratios on that 44. before putting it in 4 wheel drive. If it was a stock 10 bolt from a 1009 and still has the stock rear 14 bolt the gear ratios will not be the same.

richingalveston

and by the way I would be really, really pissed if they changed my dana 60 with trac lock to a 10 bolt open diff. thats about a $1200 difference in price.
Are you sure it is a 10 bolt?
my 1009 was pristine in the pics but when i got there GL beat the crap out of it with a fork lift, I almost walked away but after driving from texas to california to get it, and it was rust free, I could not go home empty handed.

Dunegoon

I'm sure the ratios are different. The front drive shaft was in the bed. Wasn't that nice of them? It does have 8 lug wheels so it's not out of a 1009. I have another front axle that I can put in it. I was all pumped hoping that I might get one with a track-loc, instead I got someone's junk. Funny thing is the whole truck is tan, fuel tank frame rear axle. Front axle is not.

Back to the original post" What was in your CUCV?" I did go through it atfer reading all the interesting finds. Besides the 30 gallon trash bag of water bottles, pop cans and food wrappers. I found some new M-16 cleaning pouches, M-16 dust covers (2), spring for the trigger, sling attachments top and bottom, 5.56 bore gauge, TM manuel, hoses for a torch set, about 30 keys and 1 padlock. Unfortunantly none of the keys fit the lock! Oh and 16 cents! SCORE!!!

biggestc69

This is what I got with my CUCV when I bought my 08 from Boyce. He didnt want to send pics because it "just opens up a can of worms". And now I see why. This was last year and I shoulda bailed on the deal when he wouldnt show me any pics, he also insisted on painting it for free, another red flag I shoulda seen coming. Nobody to blame but myself, went with him cuz everybody on here reccomends him. He's a little high but all I hear are his praises and I wanted a turn key deal (I have a bad back, arhtitis, degenitive disc diease and on and on and I cant mechanic like I used to in the Army). The bed was off a M1028, had the shelter tie downs, Bed was held down with 3 bolts. Drivers door is from a M1028 according to the data plate, and where the paints peeling its red underneath, old fire dept and when its shut you can see daylight through the top. So everytime it rains I get a wet backside. I had several body men look at it and the cab isnt straight. So its prolly been on his side, you can see on the inside of the cab where it appears that two kevlar helmets have hit and scrapped the paint off from some kind of impact. Blue fenders, civilian side mirrors and the cheap paint job which is coming off everywhere is showing a cobbeled up truck that he threw together. The passanger door is bubbled up and full of rust and pinholes, so much for "a rust free straight truck". No jack, lug wrench but it did come with a leaky radiator which I called him about and never got a call back. I fully understand that and old copper bronze radiator going on 30 years old might leak, but when its still on the trailer that he shipped it to me on and its pissing fluid everywhere before I even start it, 3 weeks late by the way, he shoudla manned up and at least offered to do the right thing. **** I woudla been happy if he only went half on a new one, but he was always "out of the office" after the secatary got my name, never returned a call and I left prolly 20 messages over a month long period. The "new" tires that I was promised would make the 700+ mile trip home (he told me it woudl be ready to drive from Utah to Kansas) started getting bulges and literally losing chucks of tread going down the road. the drivetrain was solid but I got sold a bill of goods with him. Now that the venting is over thats all I got with my CUCV. A $6000 plus shipping truck that needs work I was promised would be taken care of. I'm a disabled vet and I cant wrench like I used to. Thats why I went to him. I had a M1031 in Iraq and I've loved these trucks since the day I was assigned it in Germany. And I always told myself that when I could finally save up enough I would own one. Like I said its my fault for going on faith with this guy. So anyone reading this if you decide to go with him inspect what your getting. I have seen some of his other work and it appers great and thats what stings is that he can turn out a quality item, but since I was trusting and didn't want to be the bothersome customer always calling and asking to see what the progress was on my truck I ended up with something that body wise is not acceptable and was misrepresented. I wish I knew about muddobber40 before pulling the trigger on that used car salesman.

nyvram

this thread needs to be brought back!

we found about 400 dirt dobbler nests and probably 30-40 wasps. most are gone now but they add some 'excitement' when they appear.

also found 30 year old cigarette butts stuffed full in the pull-out ashtray. jake thought they were cool (so old they dont even smell anymore) so for now we left them in there.

2deuce

Full tank of rotten gas. I did get the truck cheap cause they stated in the listing that it will not start, hasn't run in over 3 years.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks