• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best way to add a 12 volt winch?

TSgt.Kuchta

Good question Gunwriter.

I have a WARN 9000 lb. winch a friend gave me that I also was wondering the best way to wire up.

From the research I have done I figure I will just wire it to the #1 battery and keep an eye on it's charge as compared to the #2 battery.

Steve

idM1028

:ditto:

There's some batteries out there (I.E. Optimas) that have side posts for wiring up additional accessories as well as the normal top posts. Just make sure you put a fuse into the positive side of the circuit and you should be good.

Chief_919

Just hook into the #1 battery.

I know a guy who uses his winch a lot, he added a second battery in paraell with the #1 battery for even more reserve.

scoutmanadam

exactly what chief said, and those optima batteries are great things to have. by the way, are you going to permanently mount it to the front, or mount it to a receiver so you can use it in front and back. i did that to all my off road rigs i had, best thing i ever did

idM1028

If you make a mount, post some pics. I've been debating the best way to go about mounting a winch on the truck (first I gotta sort out the electrical issues. Yay, CUCV's) I'm thinking about cutting out the bottom middle bar on the brush guard and either bolting or welding the winch mount in using the bottom portion of vertical bars on the brush guard.

TSgt.Kuchta

Winch Mount

It's gonna be about two weeks before I can get to a point to mount my winch.

I am going with Class IV Hitches front and back.
Also going to weld a receiver in the bed of the cargo area so I can lock the winch in place when its not being used.

I will post photos of everything after I get it all in place and wired up.

Steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2cents. If you have not purchased a winch, consider the 24V HMMWV version. Spreads your current draw across both batts. Here's another way to mount a winch. You would have to know it's not factory 'cause you sure can't tell by looks.

Attachments