• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to charge or jump start HMMWV ?

TheGreatMidwest

Wanted to find out what others were doing in order to 'safely' jump start and charge their HMMWV ? Assuming there are no other NATO vehicles handy for jumping. What's the safest way to charge and jump start the M998 without damaging the engine electronics such as glow plug controller?

Thanks!

DatGuyC

Take the batteries out and charge them independently if you only have a 12v charger. If you need to jump start it you could try hooking up the jumper cables to only one battery but I'm not sure if that would fry anything. Safest thing it to charge them separately.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you only have 12V I use the first battery to jump start. Works great and it will not hurt anything. The best way would to charge each battery on it's own when dead and jointly to maintain them , I choose to use a NOCO Genius G7200 12V/24 charger/maintainer.

BTW, per site rules please change your profile to reflect the middle of which no where State you live in. (Thanks)

Last edited:

TheGreatMidwest

If you only have 12V I use the first battery to jump start. Works great and it will not hurt anything. The best way would to charge each battery on it's own when dead and jointly to maintain them , I choose to use a NOCO Genius G7200 12V/24 charger/maintainer. (Thanks)
Thanks, I was checking out that model of charger after you suggested it, comes in a wide range of amp ratings. Do you know which model of the G7200 you're using? The different flavors are: .75 Amp
1.1 Amp
15 Amp
26 Amp
3.5 Amp
4.4 Amp
and 7.2 Amp

Mike82ndABN

the 7200 is 7.2 amp.
the 1100 is 1.1 amp
the 15000 is 1.5 amp

basically the 7200 only comes in 7.2amp, if you select a different amp model, it has a whole different model number.

M1224

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely invest in a good 24v Charger.

For jump starting, I am making a cart with 2 deep cycle 12V batteries that will be wired for 12 and 24 volt with multiple cables, including a NATO Slave cable. This way I can jump start anything.

TheGreatMidwest

the 7200 is 7.2 amp.
the 1100 is 1.1 amp
the 15000 is 1.5 amp

basically the 7200 only comes in 7.2amp, if you select a different amp model, it has a whole different model number.
Ah! Amazon didn't display the products separately, it brought up the 7200 with a checkbox for the different amp rating. Thank you for clarifying that!

TheGreatMidwest

Definitely invest in a good 24v Charger.

For jump starting, I am making a cart with 2 deep cycle 12V batteries that will be wired for 12 and 24 volt with multiple cables, including a NATO Slave cable. This way I can jump start anything.
Nice setup. I do have two deep-cycle 12 v marine batteries wired up in series for 24 v. I wanted to add a NATO cable... but... darn expensive on Ebay!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks