• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Way to Disable Inertia Brake?

koolex11

In the event that the M101A2 surge brake sticks, what is the best way to disable from the lunette end? Yes I have read the TM, but I would like to hear from someone who has done it, as they always explain it so I can understand...Thanks in advance!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stick a bolt in the hole, that was put there to disable the surge brake. Just like the TM tells you.

What don't you understand about that? I think there is even a picture of it in the TM.

If you are holding brake pressure, you could open a bleeder ot loosen the brake line from the master cylinder.

What's next, how to plug in the cord?

koolex11

Stick a bolt in the hole, that was put there to disable the surge brake. Just like the TM tells you.

What don't you understand about that? I think there is even a picture of it in the TM.

If you are holding brake pressure, you could open a bleeder ot loosen the brake line from the master cylinder.

What's next, how to plug in the cord?
Nice.

koolex11

Come on guys, it's a 400 page document. How about a little direction? I'm looking right now and I can't find it. Do you know how long it takes to scroll through 400 pages of PDF? No need to be smug. :-?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like any reference book, use the table of contents or, use the index in the rear.

And it's only 338 pages.

koolex11

Ok last try: Can anybody tell me the section of the TM9233020214P that outlines how to disengage the hydraulic brake actuator system? I have used the index, the TOC, the search function, but have not found the information I am seeking. I understand that I am supposed to "stick a pin in a hole" but, much like during my early high school years, I am having trouble understanding exactly how to do the deed. I emailed my health teacher, but he was not able to help me stop the surge brake. Please someone take pity on me!!! Sarcasm no longer welcome...

Asgar

Koolex11... Looks like the days of folks helping folks are over on this site... Unless you can anwser the question yourself your just not going to be helped out I suppose. I personally looked through and searched the manual 2x, once when I picked up my trailer and just now, and did not find what you were looking for. I also looked through the manual for what I think is the OEM manufacture, see link below and nothing is mentioned. I never found a 'reverse lockout' or 'free backing' or 'brake bypass' method mentioned. Perhaps those that KNOW it is in the manual are just better then us, or maybe there is no official mention of this, folks just know how to do it 'un-authorized'... like the feature used to be advertized but the first firery wreck due to the guy leaving the pin in when driveing down pikes peak caused the laywers to remove this 'feature' in the manuals but leave the hole in the acutator to allow us to still do it..

Anyhow from looking at mine it looks like the proceedure should be make sure the lunette is fully extended, pull the trailer forward or pry out the lunette to get it into this position. Then put a 3/8" or so 6" long or so item through the 7/16" or so mystery hole on the side of the actuator, the one you can see clear through with the lunette out but is blocked with the lunette in... The pin should then block the rearward movement of the lunette and prevent the brakes from applying. I have not actually have had a need to try this yet so I could be wrong, I don't know that it would work for a fact but it most likely does... Hmm, maybe if I just try searching harder... I have a #3 phillips screwdriver that fits perfectly for in case the brakes drag when backing up. For instance, not wanting to trash the grass at a friends house when turning around...
My version of the manual is:
*TM 9-2330-202-14&P
TECHNICAL MANUAL HEADQUARTERS
NO. 9-2330-202-14&P DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY​
Washington D.C., 12 May 1997

http://www.toledoactuators.com/download/8003.pdf

To be sure a bunch of folks will jump in to tell me how wrong I am and show how easy it is to find this out in the manual... or point out I needed the OTHER manual.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Asgar

Ok, thanks Doghead,

To be fair... he is asking:
Can anybody tell me the section of the TM9233020214P that outlines how to disengage the hydraulic brake actuator system?

A pdf search of the manual does not find any mention of: 'actuator locking pin' or a proceedure to bypass the surge brake as is normal when you are in a difficult backing situation.

It may be hard to link this question with: 'M101A2 violent braking', skip past the violent braking solution is to replace the shock then discover this mystery pin which is the anwser to: Can anybody tell me the section of the TM9233020214P that outlines how to disengage the hydraulic brake actuator system?

I agree folks need to use search more but not everything is obvious and the topic is not in the manual I have or Balcrank's manuals for the actuator. You also need to get lucky and know the right search words.

I'm done, hope the info helped koolex11, I'm off to start packing for Weare... when I'm there I need to take pictures of a 5 ton E brake link spring and the air hose routing because a friend of mine can't find out what the mess is supposed to look like because the manual pictures are not clear enough... and he wants to get his rig running. Just helping folks out when I can...

koolex11

Thanks Asgar. I feel less crazy now. Well explained. I think the others are realizing that the impatience was a bit uncalled for. Or at least I hope they are. Thanks for the thread doghead. Hereby unsubscribed.

Jersey4x4

Koolex11... Looks like the days of folks helping folks are over on this site... Unless you can anwser the question yourself your just not going to be helped out I suppose. I personally looked through and searched the manual 2x, once when I picked up my trailer and just now, and did not find what you were looking for. I also looked through the manual for what I think is the OEM manufacture, see link below and nothing is mentioned. I never found a 'reverse lockout' or 'free backing' or 'brake bypass' method mentioned. Perhaps those that KNOW it is in the manual are just better then us, or maybe there is no official mention of this, folks just know how to do it 'un-authorized'... like the feature used to be advertized but the first firery wreck due to the guy leaving the pin in when driveing down pikes peak caused the laywers to remove this 'feature' in the manuals but leave the hole in the acutator to allow us to still do it..

Anyhow from looking at mine it looks like the proceedure should be make sure the lunette is fully extended, pull the trailer forward or pry out the lunette to get it into this position. Then put a 3/8" or so 6" long or so item through the 7/16" or so mystery hole on the side of the actuator, the one you can see clear through with the lunette out but is blocked with the lunette in... The pin should then block the rearward movement of the lunette and prevent the brakes from applying. I have not actually have had a need to try this yet so I could be wrong, I don't know that it would work for a fact but it most likely does... Hmm, maybe if I just try searching harder... I have a #3 phillips screwdriver that fits perfectly for in case the brakes drag when backing up. For instance, not wanting to trash the grass at a friends house when turning around...
My version of the manual is:
*TM 9-2330-202-14&P
TECHNICAL MANUAL HEADQUARTERS
NO. 9-2330-202-14&P DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY​
Washington D.C., 12 May 1997

http://www.toledoactuators.com/download/8003.pdf

To be sure a bunch of folks will jump in to tell me how wrong I am and show how easy it is to find this out in the manual... or point out I needed the OTHER manual.

Good luck and keep the faith.
:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:

Wolf.Dose

In this post I do not understand one fact: Why someone likes to disengage a existing brake system in his trailer. May be he does not understand the function, never used a trailer with brake system.
To my understanding as an engineer it is unlawfull and illegal to disable a brake system.
You better try to keep up with the line and get the trailer brake system to propper operation. The master cylinder is the same as used in a CJ2 Jeep, the wheel cylinders are mass production (however most of the parts shops are too lazy to check for the parts). Actually the only tricky device is the shock absorber, which to my knowledge is not a civy part.
Hope for you the police never will pick you up and find out you blocked the trailer brake system. Here you would get in very big trouble....
Wolf

Asgar

I would imagine two situations, first, total failure of the shock and light or no payload, the user may want to disable the system to prevent the unsafe operation of the surge brake until it could be fixed.

In my case, I actually did disable the same balcrank surge brake unit used on the M101a2 this weekend. I wanted to freely back a rented car trailer up my steep and long driveway, without this pin the truck was working hard to overpower the brakes.

I agree with Wolf, you would not want to disable the system in normal operations. This is my guess as to why the proceedure did not appear in the operation manual or the OEM. (at least I could not find it in print)

In CT, the M101a2 is light enough that brakes are not leagally needed. The DOT inspector specifically did not even want to look at them for operation since they are not a requried piece of equipment. So I would not expect much of an issue fighting a ticket but if you ran into someone and went to a civil trial it would be hard to defend yourself, disabling a safety device irregardless of it's requriement would put you in a bad place in this case.

Again, free backing up inclines is the main reason I would disable the brake temporarly. Modern brakes are supposed to be 'free backing' but that is not always the case in practice.
Expecially when backing over someone's lawn... nice to have the option to not turf it.