• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to do a overall paint job ?

1951M1078

I'm thinking about doing a full repaint of a LMTV. I have see some done with house paint up to rhino lining.

This will be a working truck and may need to be touch up , often.

Its D.O. camo now. Was thinking maybe desert tan ?

As for prep, thinking DA with 320 and maybe some scotch pad after a good power wash.

Ideas ?
Randy

Katavic918

I guess it depends on the need for repaint. Looking well worn and sun kissed is one thing. Looking worn and beat to **** is another. I did mine with house paint and FS-595B color codes. Color was perfect.

big block 88

I use dupont acrylic. Harbor frieght gravity feed guns that i just throw away when im done or it screws up. I dont use my hugh dollar hvlp guns for MV's as i spray paint pretty thick. We DA 320 then 400 to level things out prime any bare spots and then wipe down with degreaser prep then spray away.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The one I drive came from the military painted with a paintbrush. You can't tell unless you are up close looking. I don't mind it.

WV New Guy

My wife power washed our M923 sanded it with 80 grit on the 686 CARC using proper PPE ,60 grit on rust to bare metal ,Rustolem primer then Tan Behr mix we found on bodywork thread here . She sprayed truck with Flexio 590 Wagner gun . For her first time it's exceptional no runs . The Behr is almost as rough to touch as the CARC . Only thing we would change is we should've used Sand to be historically correct cause our truck served in Desert Storm.

coachgeo

Phew.. Had to look much of this post up. For anyone else as confused as I was; here is needed translation words
. 686 CARC= Flat Tan spray paint
. PPE= Personel Protection Equipment

wish I had a wife like that. Remember .... she's a keeper

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
Post some photos of the truck you're talking about. But first off some warning.

CARC is toxic if you sand it you will need a proper respirator .
Washing the truck thoroughly. Dish soap is good. Wipe it off with alcohol , tape up the windows and whatever you don't want painted. Get a spray gun from harbor freight . Buy some CARC imitation ( there is a seller on eBay who sells rapco for $35/gallon ) I sprayed and touched up my truck with 2 gallon. And had plenty left over. And yes you can also roll it, but it won't get well in the corners where you need it most.
Painting is generally done with a Spraygun in the Army, but at unit level depending on the situation trucks have been painted with mops (during mobilization to Desert Storm for instance, and if the paint didn't match right , we threw some sand over the wet paint. Hooah???)

Do a search first. Painting the truck had been talked about here before.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post some photos of the truck you're talking about. But first off some warning.

CARC is toxic if you sand it you will need a proper respirator .
Wash the truck thoroughly dish soap is good. Wipe it off with alcohol , tape up the windows and whatever you don't want painted. Get a spray gun from harbor freight . Buy some CARC imitation ( there is a seller on eBay who sells rapco for $35/gallon ) I sprayed and touched up my truck with 2 gallon. And had plenty left over.

Do a search first. Painting the truck had been talked about here before.
If you're going to that much trouble, just buy real CARC.

I had this truck done with VOX CARC....Screenshot_2016-04-25-22-39-26.jpg

coachgeo

i didn't think , they would sell real CARC anymore?
quick search found these fella's. But maybe forumla is different and not REAL CARC as 722 referred to it?

https://www.quartertonparts.com/?s=carc&post_type=product
http://www.ncpcoatings.com/products/military/military-specification/
http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products/metal/military-coatings

Also not sure if it requires special precautions to spray it. Maybe that is why it is brushed on in repair mode on base?

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a comment about primers. Use a good one!

I use Sherwin Williams Automotive finishes
[h=1]PE995 Corrosion Shield® LCF Etching Primer[/h]
if you have small dents, like hail damage you can use this to smooth small dents out without a lot of fuss.

[h=1]HDR22 - High Build Polyester Primer Surfacer[/h]
I then paint with PPG CARC. I don't use CARC primer anymore if I have a choice.

I paint my generators with CARC or automotive finishes after using the etching primer. CARC primer peels on aluminum! I also buy Harbor Freight cheap guns and throw them away after use.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Real modern CARC it is not the old school nasty 2 part CARC, the military stopped using it years ago, you can now get a water based CARC paint.

pmramsey

Mil spec zinc chromate is my primer of choice. I works great for both aluminum and steel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks