• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Way To ID Unknown Prop Shafts?

ryanruck

Looking for the best and fastest way to ID prop shafts in a quantity of unknown ones (no/illegible tags).

More specifically rear shaft 2520-01-413-2724/6003666/12447113 and mid shaft 2520-01-413-0080/6002607/12447114, ones for a truck with 4L80E and 4 bolt 242 t-case.

I'm guessing overall length would be easiest/fastest. If so, what would be the OAL of those?

Any thing else that might help? Any distinctive stamped or cast marks?

Bighorn

Looking for the best and fastest way to ID prop shafts in a quantity of unknown ones (no/illegible tags).

More specifically rear shaft 2520-01-413-2724/6003666/12447113 and mid shaft 2520-01-413-0080/6002607/12447114, ones for a truck with 4L80E and 4 bolt 242 t-case.

I'm guessing overall length would be easiest/fastest. If so, what would be the OAL of those?

Any thing else that might help? Any distinctive stamped or cast marks?
Are you talking about the driveshaft?
If so; they are identified by the type of yoke, style and series of u-joint, center support bearing if applicable, and length.
Your best bet is to measure from a known vehicle with that combination and match those measurements to the cores in the field.
Driveshafts are built from individual parts (end yokes) pressed into tubing and welded.
The tubing between those parts can be any length and was cut from bulk tubing and so has no part number associated.
The end yokes have part numbers as do the slip yokes, and splines but they don't relate to an overall assembly.
In other words; you aren't going to find a tag or number on the driveshaft itself to help identify what vehicle it fits.
You need to know the style and or size of forward attachment, any center bearings it may have, and the rear attachment, and the length of segments in between or overall length.
Overall length is usually expressed as a "seal to center" measurement (taken from seal of output of transfer case or transmission to center of rearmost u-joint)
Or a center to center measurement (center of forward most u-joint to center of rearward most u-joint with the splined portion in the middle of it's play.)

But for people trying to find a used driveshaft to fit a given vehicle, do this;
Identify the transfer case attachment, measure from the seal in the case of a slip yoke or center in case of an output yoke to the center of where the rear u-joint fits into the pinion yoke of the rear axle.
Do this with the vehicle sitting flat with any suspension modifications installed.
What the measurement is on YOUR vehicle will dictate the length of shaft YOU need.
There are many exceptions and special cases in the world of driveshafts.
Things get swapped and cobbled welded together over the years.
Make sure you know the things mentioned above before you buy.

Drivelines are an art form.
Often overlooked but dearly missed the second they let go.

ryanruck

Are you talking about the driveshaft?
Yep, just wanted to use the correct term they're referred to as in the TM.

If so; they are identified by the type of yoke, style and series of u-joint, center support bearing if applicable, and length.
Your best bet is to measure from a known vehicle with that combination and match those measurements to the cores in the field.
I figured OAL is going to be the determining factor since I know the 4L80E is a longer transmission than the TH400. I just don't have access to a 4L80E equipped truck so that's why I was hoping someone here had the info.

This is going to be as close as stock to an A2 setup as possible to minimize customization that might cause problems sourcing parts in the future. The only difference is this is going into a truck with a 6.2L that will have the required senders added and a custom built wiring harness.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure the A2 shafts require an A2 input yoke on the diff. 86humv or Retiredwarhorses would know.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mid shaft : 12447114 is 33 5/8 " between arrows....only for 12k trucks
The 10k trucks are 31 3/4 " between arrows.
Early 10k is 31 9/16 "
A2 Rear shaft 12447113 is : 33 " with 1330 yoke
A0 rear with 3L80 / 242 : 34 7/8 "
A2 rear 12k : 33 " with 1350 yoke.
Yoke ends :
10k Mid is: 3 7/8 "
Early Mid is: 3 1/2 "
Rear also 3 7/8 " between arrows 10 & 12k....but 12 k u joints have bigger diameter caps.
DSC_000634.JPG
DSC_000635.jpg

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front shaft info:
12k front 19 1/8 " between arrows.
10K A0/A1 front 18 7/16 ".
Yoke end :
A2 /A1 is 3 7/8 "
A0 is 3 1/2 " between arrows.
DSC_000636.JPG
DSC_000637.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks