• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Way to Prevent Rust?

bgekky3

I recently moved back to northern Ohio after leaving for a job seven years ago. Before I left I had a Cutlass that I scraped and painted the underside every summer. It was also rustproofed in the doors and quarters when it was restored. The car was showing signs of rust when I sold it.

My question is: What is the best method of rustproffing up north? I was told that a 50/50 mixture of used motor oil and diesel fuel would be good.

My uncle from Canada told me that the acids in used oil will not protect the metal. He had an old F250 that was very rusty. He told me he regularly sprayed it with used oil. He had around 400k miles on the truck and traveled all over the United States and Canada. He said I should use new oil to spray my vehicles. He says he now only uses new oil to spray his vehicles, because the acids in used oil will harm the metal.

Should I use new oil or a mixture of used and diesel?

I have four vehicles to protect. I can't use oil on the Toyota, because it goes to shows and it raced regularly. It has to be oil free for the track. It is garage kept during the winter.

All the vehicles are showing sings of rust after the few months of salt that they have been exposed. I know the vehicles won't be around forever, but I don't want to be painting them all the time.

My dad has a salvage yard and body shop. I can get all the used motor oil I need. I can also change out gear oil and hydrolic fluid and use the old.

Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Nonotagain

The government uses a series of rust preservatives certified to Mil-C-16173.

I use Tectyl 502 which dries (actually stays somewhat sticky to the touch) to a waxy film.

Daubert Chemical makes rust proofing products intended for automotive use. My best guess for an older vehicle would be Tectyl 553.

www.daubeertchemical.com

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6 mils of epoxy paint and you are good for life. Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad, PPG Amerlock etc. Epoxy is the only way to go for trucks that will not be trailered showpieces. Make sure you prepare the metal by sandblasting.

emr

Spray every thign down with WD40 , my trailers look new from 10 years old boat and cargo, I am currebtly spraying every now and again the under body places of my pickups, with a paint sprayer, they will never rust...

littlebob

We don't have a way to spread salt this far south, so I don't have any experiance with stopping it.
I can say that when my Grandmother moved down from OH with her 66 chevy biscayne in the mid seventies, it was destroyed from the salt. I know you should wash vehicles used in salted roads as soon as possible, but I know I wouldn' get out and wash my car in 5 degree weather.

3dubs

littlebob you have salt just like me. It is on the beach! That sand is full of salt! The good thing is that it is not cold. Everytime any car of mine is on a lift I go out and look. It is all about prevention even more up where it is so cold. As soon as you see a bubble in the paint get the sand blaster and get your revenge. If you see anything on the underside blast it and paint it. POR15 is awsome stuff. WD40 was made for Water Displacement. But everytime you get tires or anytime it is in the air walk out and look! The light is better and you can see things like your frame and suspension. It is better to uses a spray can then go back and do a better job later. I use a cheap sand blaster with baking soda. The soda does not tear things up as bad. It removes rust and it disolves in water or most liquids. That way you do not have sand everywhere.

If you like old cars rust is your enemy!:evil:

bgekky3

Thanks for the help and new ideas. I will hit the underside of the Bronco with the por15 and then spray it and the Liberty before winter with a rust proofer. I will spray the deuce too, but it won't be seeing any salt until I can sell my old house and get a new one. The appartment where I am staying outlaws all trucks 3/4 ton and larger. I had several complaints when I moved in and the deuce was in front for two days.

EZFEED

3dubs is right, we may not have it poured on our roads but it is in the coast and IN THE AIR. Dont forget that too. Leave a piece of metal out in the open around in south LA and it will flash rust in a second.

Quick tip on applying POR-15. You need to totally clean and etch the metal before it will adhere. You can buy the Metal Ready stuff they reccomend which is $$$ or you can do like me and mix solution of water and naval jelly together in a spray bottle and make it yourself. When you spray it on the bare steel it should frost up with white finish and then will flash rust. You will apply over this flash rust.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about filling rockers and the like. I can maintain visible areas but the rockers and such that rot from the inside are a problem. We used to plug up the drains on GM truck doors and pour motor oil in there for a while then open the drains. Seems to help some! Gonna try that on deuce doors next.

scooter01922

Take a gal of diesel and heat it up till its warm, drop in a block of parrifin wax from the store. Spray it on what you want to protect. The wax hardens at normal temps and forms this impenetrable shield against salt and the diesel is there to keep it soft and pliable so it won't chip off. Word to the wise though, watch out on the overspray that stuff is a real PITA to get back off. You can tweak the consistency of the final product by how much wax you use. Read that on an antique tractor board last year sometime and sprayed the underside of a trailer with it. Seems to have fared well so far as the coating is still there and showing no signs of leaving.

oilcan

An old-timer once told me he stripped the interior of his pickup once a year and sprayed that heavy STP oil in the doors, wheelwells, undercarriage, and all the other nooks and crannies with an undercoating gun. He'd let it sit with the doors open for a few days to let all the oil drain off after the treatment then put the interior back in. He claimed to never see a speck of rust in the 30 or so years he owned that truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks