• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best way to remove/replace window seals?

cscmc1

I've seen lots of posts discussing the replacement of window seals, but have yet to find one that details any pitfalls or areas of concern, or specific instructions on HOW this is done. I'm replacing the scrapers (or seals, whatever you want to call them) on both doors -- part # 4 on the LMC catalog page (attached). Are these pretty easy to pop in and out, or are there clips I could break if I do something wrong? I don't have the new seals in-hand just yet, so maybe it'll be painfully obvious how to do this one they come in. I just thought I'd get a head-start and ask now.

If this has been covered, I apologize... my search didn't turn anything this specific up.

Many thanks!

Attachments

epitts

If I can do it you can. They just pop out and in w/small clip, just make sure the slots on door do not get bent. The inside strip clips onto door card.

YOU CAN DO IT

cscmc1

Thanks, epitts! I was hoping it would be as simple as that.

Are you with the 181st over in Terre Haute? I'm with the 126th at Scott.

CSCmc1 I have done so many of these I know if i can Do it U can do it to my friend. Im a stickler i took my doors completely apart guts were laying on the tailgate and i did mine and so far so good no windnoise in the drivers side now time to eventually do the pass door :] Good luck and lmc is high but not bad for fitment.:grd:

cscmc1

CSCmc1 I have done so many of these I know if i can Do it U can do it to my friend. Im a stickler i took my doors completely apart guts were laying on the tailgate and i did mine and so far so good no windnoise in the drivers side now time to eventually do the pass door :] Good luck and lmc is high but not bad for fitment.:grd:
Hey, thanks -- I'm feeling pretty good about taking this job on now. Can't wait for the parts to get here!

Whitey

I've had to completely disassemble my drivers door about six times in the last year. First was to replace the vent window, then to replace the window seals, then to adjust the seals, then a week ago to replace the window regulator after it grenaded. I am hoping I'll never have to do it again, it just got old. However, just be patient and follow the directions in the TM on how to line up the regulator with the window channel. I think that was the hardest part of the whole thing. As already stated, if I can do it without throwing a tool then you can to. Good luck.

-Whitey

48cj2a

Please report back when you do this and also on how well the LMC parts fit. The few NOS GM parts I find online must be gold plated because they are offly proud of them.

cscmc1

Mine are actually coming from Rock Auto; their price was significantly lower than LMC (I just borrowed their diagram to illustrate which parts I'm replacing). I use LMC for many things, but do still shop around when I buy. I'm not THAT wealthy! :D

cscmc1

All -- I got the driver's side installed last night before bed... not bad at all! One you pull the door card, it's pretty simple to see how things go together. Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement.

The parts I received from Rock Auto were Fairchild pieces; they seem to fit just fine, and were very easy to install. No troubles at all!

Whitey

Good report! Glad it all went well. I used Classic for my door and window seals and they fit pretty good. Rock Auto is a great resourse, isn't it.

cscmc1

Good report! Glad it all went well. I used Classic for my door and window seals and they fit pretty good. Rock Auto is a great resourse, isn't it.
Yessir, Rock Auto had the seal kits for about $75 shipped versus $99 plus shipping on LMC. LMC is a nice resource, and I have used and will use them, but I also shop around and spend my money (what little I can spare!) wisely.

cscmc1

Oh, and for those who might wonder who to get the door glass run in it's channel down inside the door: press the upper portions into place and press the lower sections in as far as you with the window rolled down. Then, just roll the window carefully up until the bottom of the seal frames are accessible through the inside of the door (with the door card removed, of course). I was able to simply roll the window up part way and get my hands inside the door to seat the bottom several inches of the seal in both front and back. Super-easy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks