• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better fasteners for interior

Aernan

It looks like my truck was reassembled with random fasteners in the dash and doors.

Has anyone found a good bolt with a captive washer or a large head?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Aernan

ok I took another look. I can get Zinc and Stainless versions. Also looked. You can epoxy paint stainless but you need to abrade them first. I do have a small paint booth in my garage and a sand blaster so I could make a batch to match the interior color.

Givinup

Since I'm doing an expo build and not a resto, I'm looking to have the door panels, and most metal panels fabricated from a different material. I'll then be using screws with a different head and rubber between the panels. I'm hoping this will help with the rattle and fit/finish. - - this of course doesn't help if your wanting the original military look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Aernan

Since I'm doing an expo build and not a resto, I'm looking to have the door panels, and most metal panels fabricated from a different material. I'll then be using screws with a different head and rubber between the panels. I'm hoping this will help with the rattle and fit/finish. - - this of course doesn't help if your wanting the original military look.

I'm doing the same thing. The project of fabrication won't start in earnest for a bit so I'm looking to have spare parts around to at least get everything the same fastener and washer. I'll probably bet getting into the dash soon enough to fix some bad wiring and add outlets and such. :)

If you do go the route of stainless + paint I would be willing to go in on a batch. We plan on doing the truck in burnt orange (toyota) and battleship gray. So bolts will most likely be grey unless we do the cab in other colors. Maybe tan and chocolate brown.

Givinup

I'm doing the same thing. The project of fabrication won't start in earnest for a bit so I'm looking to have spare parts around to at least get everything the same fastener and washer. I'll probably bet getting into the dash soon enough to fix some bad wiring and add outlets and such. :)

If you do go the route of stainless + paint I would be willing to go in on a batch. We plan on doing the truck in burnt orange (toyota) and battleship gray. So bolts will most likely be grey unless we do the cab in other colors. Maybe tan and chocolate brown.
I haven't decided on the material yet. I'm not convinced any type of metal is necessary for the application. It's all interior, so there are lexans and other plastics or fiberglass that would be suitable, and offer more thermal and sound dampening qualities.

Aernan

For simplicity of fabrication door panels will likely be plywood with foam and fabric or vinyl skin. Make door pull out of solid wood (easy to sculpt). Probably cover fasteners with cosmetic plastic caps or paint faces to match door trim. Find cosmetic aftermarket door handle and window crank.

Reworked LMTV

Old thread, but has anyone sized the very small screws that hold the panel that holds the front plate to the switch panel above the heater. Looks like an M3, but I'm not sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks