• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better mileage

M813A1

Just wondering if anyone has ever thought of removing the short drive shaft between the drive axles on a Duece or 5 Ton. Would this help reduce rolling resitance and give a increase in Mileage ?? i was thinking of removing the short drive to increase mileage and wonder if that would mess with the sprag ?? I do not think it will cause any problems ?? I still will have the use of 4 wheel drive when needed !! I know with commerical trucks it cannot be done because the rear dual axle is the drive axle because the power goes through the front axle !! But with the setup on these military trucks both axles do the driving , so that is why I am wondering if the short drive shaft between the axles might be able to be taken out with no ill affect ?? With all of the bob jobs being done that is what makes me think that the short drive shaft can be taken out and could help with increased mileage !! :roll: :roll:

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had the same question as you in the past. I was told, ( by several much smarter than me) that the best way was just to put one lock out hub on the first set of axles or if you are money poor like me just to pull one the axles. I pulled the one on the drivers side and it has worked great. I have a M109 so it stays in the back wrapped in plastic is case I need it. I had a broke axle that I torched the cap off to plug the hole were it use to live.

jwaller

will make little to no difference in mpg and will cause you to possibly get stuck in wet grass if your fwd isn't working. much easier to do lockout hub on the forward tandem if you have a deuce.

if you have a 5ton there is nothing besides a light foot that will help with mpg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks