• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better to rebuild or replace master cylinder/wheel cylinders

0311DAD

Now that I have had my truck for almost a year, I have started to do more pm. I want to start accumulating the parts that I will need to overhaul the brakes. Would it be better to replace or rebuild the brake components?

3dAngus

Less then $100 for a new master cylinder
Average $30 per wheel cylinder
I think for the amount of time spent rebuilding, I would put out the extra cash and just replace with new.
Keep the old parts in your parts bin for emergencies, with a rebuild kit in there for emergency road repair.
My way is not the only way, it's just my opinion and how I would do it, and how I'm presently doing it on my M-37.
My deuce brakes are fine, but prices above are M35A2 assets from your favorite auction house on the internet, and averages, not random prices.

I would consider replacing any brake lines running up to the wheel cylinders as well, especially if any indications of wear or tear.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If your going to go through the brakes, I would plan on having the truck out of service for a week or so. Put it up on jack-stands, Pull the brakes and components off and see what you need.

maybe some pads need re-lined
maybe some wheel cyls just need honed, others replaced
air-pack might just need rebuilt, might need a new one
master cyl might just need honed, might need new

Once all is done(after checking brake lines too) you can fill the system and bleed it, then be done with it.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had good luck honing and replacing seals in wheel cylinders. As long as they don't have bad pitting. Did a couple with some small pitting, but not where the seal would rub it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Instead of a long post, I'd suggest you kiss the ring of Master Clinto. There is a lot of cheap chinese crap to be avoided out there.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of a long post, I'd suggest you kiss the ring of Master Clinto. There is a lot of cheap chinese crap to be avoided out there.
Great, now I have that visual in my head.

To the OP. If you put new wheel cylinders in make sure they have the correct springs in them. Using search will help you find what I'm talking about.

Bleeder
http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Clay James

Due to not being able to find any USA made wheel cylinders, I honed and rebuilt all mine in my A2 and 109. The ones in my 109 had some pitting, but not where the seal rides. Replaced the A2 master cylinder with a 2008 surplus one I found online. Rebuilt the one in the 109 since it was in such nice shape, just had to clean out the proportioning valve and hone it slightly. The brakes on the A2 work extremely well now. Had to stop hard for a red light one time and it stopped FAST. The 109 isn't quite as good. but it's heaver and I still need to do a major adjustment of the brake shoes.

0311DAD

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to try rebuilding them.

While flipping my hubs yesterday ,I pulled the boots back on the wheel cylinders and they where dry. The pads looked practically new. While I was in there I repacked the bearings and cleaned everything up. The master cylinder is a different story, pulled back the boot and it was very wet. Looks like its time to give Clinto a call.

rlwm211

The basic issue for repairing your brake system is whether you have had water in the system or not. If the system has drained out you will likely have your work cutout for you. If you are doing all of the wheel cylinders it is the time to repack bearings, check the seals and bearings themselves and do a primary and secondary brake adjustment.

My truck had sat for a couple of years before I bought it. It had a brake problem when it was parked. All of the wheel cylinders were in need of repair. The master was in the same condition as was the Airpack. After honing one wheel cylinder for what seemed to be forever, I decided that since I was keeping this truck for a long term I would replace all of the wheel cylinders. I bought mine from Adirondack Dodge and they were the imported parts.

My truck was equipped with an old style airpack. It was marginally working and since I was doing the entire system I needed to deal with it. After dis-assembly I found that the airpack was rebuildable so I took care of that. Kits are pretty easy to find for the old style airpack. The new ones are harder to find parts for.

I checked the master and it was too far gone to be rebuilt. Again, I replaced the original with an import from Adirondack Dodge Parts.

After three years I have had no issues with the brake system. I have put almost 8K miles on the truck in the interim.

The single circuit nature of the deuce brake system is a very good reason to make sure the brakes are beyond question in terms of being in good condition. Your life as well as the lives of all around you depend on them.

I was very grateful for my efforts when someone pulled out in front of me (much too close for safety) and I locked up all the brakes on the truck and the M105 and stopped in time. This is with my truck at about 18K GVW. I am glad I did the work I did. Hope this helps....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks