• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beware Home Depots Forklift Drivers !

saddamsnightmare

July 22nd, 2017.

If the forklift driver had worked for GL, Rustystud's driveshafts on his CUCV would've been bent, not the rear cab window taken out! Ouch! This is why I always preferred the Deuce or Unimog for such jobs, as the bed was much higher, the cab better protected, and with at 10 or 12' bed, the forklift operator has a better landing zone for the load....

See YouTube Stapelfuhrer Klaus for what not to do as a forklift operator......

Guyfang

Staff member
Sometimes I just need to sit down when the pain gets to bad. I figured they knew what they where doing ! There I go again "ass-u-ming" .
'One of the things that was driven into my thick head during my fun filled stay in APG for WOC school was, "Assumtions will get you into problems every time". That's been 32 years ago. It's still as true then, as it is now.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I needed 60 bags of concrete for an 8X10 pad to put the new shed on top of, so I pulled my M1101 trailer down to HD to pick it up. The guy was actually going to load them one at a time until I suggested he just get the forklift guy to put the pallet of concrete he was pulling from on the trailer. He thought that was a good idea so that's what we did. The trailer grosses out at about 2400# so I couldn't take 3600# all at once (OK, the trailer probably could do it, but why take the chance). I figure 30 bags at a time was a good split.

He put the pallet just forward of the axle and that worked great. They wanted a $15 deposit on the pallet but I mentioned I would be coming right back so it made sense to him an he didn't bother.

The next load they insisted on doing it by hand....one bag at a time. Whatever. They put the bags on top of their pallet that was still in the trailer. This time though it was well forward of the axle (see pic below) and that didn't ride quite as nice. The Hemi jeep had no problem, it's only that riser plate for the pintle that worries me when I'm banging corners with a heavy load.

The trailer continues to get compliments and when I mention how much I paid (after selling the 37s) people are always amazed.

Anyway, the forklift driver did no damage!

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

I needed 60 bags of concrete for an 8X10 pad to put the new shed on top of, so I pulled my M1101 trailer down to HD to pick it up. The guy was actually going to load them one at a time until I suggested he just get the forklift guy to put the pallet of concrete he was pulling from on the trailer. He thought that was a good idea so that's what we did. The trailer grosses out at about 2400# so I couldn't take 3600# all at once (OK, the trailer probably could do it, but why take the chance). I figure 30 bags at a time was a good split.

He put the pallet just forward of the axle and that worked great. They wanted a $15 deposit on the pallet but I mentioned I would be coming right back so it made sense to him an he didn't bother.

The next load they insisted on doing it by hand....one bag at a time. Whatever. They put the bags on top of their pallet that was still in the trailer. This time though it was well forward of the axle (see pic below) and that didn't ride quite as nice. The Hemi jeep had no problem, it's only that riser plate for the pintle that worries me when I'm banging corners with a heavy load.

The trailer continues to get compliments and when I mention how much I paid (after selling the 37s) people are always amazed.

Anyway, the forklift driver did no damage!
I've never had a problem with Home Depot forklift drivers until now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A word on sliders. Rick is right, they are pretty efficient at clearing bed debris into the cab, I still like them though. I had one on a truck that ended up with an SECM body. Let me tell you, the blast of air that gets forced in the cab from that box is a blessing on hot days. Wow!