• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFG Baja or Wrangler MT/R...

Has anyone seen a set of either of them in the states yet? Most of the trucks over here are swapping over to them on the 24 bolt wheels but from what I understand there hasnt been any make it back to the states yet...Even alot of the slick skin trucks use them instead of the 8 bolts (rare) and the 12 bolt wheels and the radial Goodyear "Double V's"...

I wouldnt mind having a full set or two for my 96 dodge and my 2001 F150...

dilvoy

I haven't seen any Humvee Versions of the Baja T/A available, but they do use that same name on some tires that they make. It might be a Built for Military only tire, because of the 16.5 rim size.

I have some Baja T/As
You got something of everything, especially military tires...Do you happen to have a full set of the Mil-Spec Baja's or MT/R's???

tirerack.com
Yeah...I'm sure Tire Rack can't wait to buy used military tires...

I haven't seen any Humvee Versions of the Baja T/A available, but they do use that same name on some tires that they make. It might be a Built for Military only tire, because of the 16.5 rim size.
There are 2 "new" tires that the military has started using the last couple years here in iraq...37x12.50x16.5 BF Goodrich Baja T/A and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (Not the "Double V" radials), both have the same tread as their civilian brothers, but come with a E-Range rating for the 7 ton 1151A2 HMMWVs...I havent been able to find a single set of either in the United States, the same with a set of 24 bolt wheels, I figured the military has been using them for a few years now that some would of made it back to the states...

I would like to recenter a set of 24 bolts and mount some Baja's on them for my 2001 F150 project truck...I will grab a couple pics of them and post them up when I get a chance cause there is not a single pic of them on the internet...

gusto1

I think they just auctioned off 3-Wranglers and 3-BFG's from Fort Bragg a week or 2 back. I was at Fort Bragg picking up a trailer and saw the tires sitting side by side on pallets. I felt the sidewall thickness of both types of tires using my thumb and index finger. The BFG's seemed to be much thicker. I would probably take the BFG's.

Mohawk Dave

You got something of everything, especially military tires...Do you happen to have a full set of the Mil-Spec Baja's or MT/R's???

Yeah...I'm sure Tire Rack can't wait to buy used military tires...

There are 2 "new" tires that the military has started using the last couple years here in iraq...37x12.50x16.5 BF Goodrich Baja T/A and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (Not the "Double V" radials), both have the same tread as their civilian brothers, but come with a E-Range rating for the 7 ton 1151A2 HMMWVs...I havent been able to find a single set of either in the United States, the same with a set of 24 bolt wheels, I figured the military has been using them for a few years now that some would of made it back to the states...

I would like to recenter a set of 24 bolts and mount some Baja's on them for my 2001 F150 project truck...I will grab a couple pics of them and post them up when I get a chance cause there is not a single pic of them on the internet...

Just thought I'd share some info. The T/As are not exactly the same. Here's a site showing the differences in lug pattern. 2 photos about half way down. Question about BFG BAJA T/A - Expedition Portal Forum

I just picked up 8 last night. Here is the link to mine New wheels and tires 37s

And then I have this saved from somewhere:

BFGoodrich Tires are renowned for their nearly indestructible construction, supreme performance and confidence-inspiring reliability and the Baja T/A® tire is the perfect fit for the Humvee application.

"Being able to carry more weight and perform evasive maneuvers, such as double lane changes, are things that this tire does that the ...previous Humvee tire couldn't do," added Fred Wheeler, product engineer for BFGoodrich Tires military products. "We started with the commercial Baja T/A tires, which are well-known for performance and durability in desert racing and the end result was the BFGoodrich Baja T/A tire developed specifically for military applications, which now meets or exceeds the military's expectations. This contract also proves Fort Wayne's flexibility to produce this unique tire and begin production on an accelerated timeline."

Independent testing confirmed that the Military BFGoodrich Baja T/A tire:

* Carries an E rating load capacity of 4,540 pounds per tire at 65 PSI
* Has a 22.5 percent increase in projected tread life when compared to the previous fitment
...* Has more wet pavement maneuverability (11 percent) and dry pavement maneuverability (8 percent) during evasive maneuvers when compared to the previous fitment
* Has better mud traction (20 percent) when compared to the previous fitment (Goodyear MT)

-Best wishes,

-Dave

zout

I bought 8 of the MT/R with kevlar sidewalls and here are the pics.
These are one BA tire and that is all I have to say about that.

I deal with tires everyday and I spent 3 weeks at the Texas Tire Prooving grounds with Bridgestone yrs ago and after all that - that is why I chose these wisely.

Attachments

idM1028

Around here (Ft Bragg) our soft side HMMWV's run 37x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT's. I don't think I've ever seen these for sale commercially. The up-armors run a 37x12x16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. Note: These are the old NON-KEVLAR versions. The new verison with Kevlar has a diffrent tread pattern. The old tread pattern looks like a Treadwright Guard Dog (37x12.50R16.5 GUARD DOG M/T | Retread tires | Cheap truck tires | TreadWright). Or just google "Goodyear Wrangler MT/R" You should find a good comparsion of the old tire and the new tire in the first 20 pics or so. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet the TreadWrights are just retreaded up-armor tires. The older HMMWV's might run a 36x12.5x16.5 bias ply, but those are few and far in between.

Last edited: