• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFR Metals, Salina Kansas, a Goodie Hole

builderboy

Glenn-

Zeus is running again !!! With a fresh set of batteries and new starter it takes less than a second and it's pouring out that beautiful sound we all love so much!!!

Thanks a million !!! Getting my machine running has totally made my weekend !!!
:beer:

91W350

Glenn-

Zeus is running again !!! With a fresh set of batteries and new starter it takes less than a second and it's pouring out that beautiful sound we all love so much!!!

Thanks a million !!! Getting my machine running has totally made my weekend !!!
:beer:
That's two of us, you just have to love a money back guarantee.... I probably owe you mileage though. 8) I will do something to make it right down the road. Thanks!

daveks63

Glen it was so nice to meet you. You have quite the place there. I am hoping to get back up there when I have more time and money to spend. I hate these work trips and no time for your self. The old Duece is running again and sounds good. It fired right up with the statrer you had. I had to take her for a ride to reward her for starting. Now all the kids in the neighborhood want rides agian. Thanks for all your help again Glenn.

91W350

Glad the starter worked out for you, we do not have many deuce parts, but that Multifuel in the can took care of your needs. I was pretty confident it was good after the shop checked it out. 8)

Today we have three new arrivals that all run! M925s.... We were on a roll of dead horses for a while. I doubt ten percent of these are on operating condition. Last week a M925 came in with the transfer case hanging on a nylon strap. Had two 923s that would turn over, but sounded like the rings were trying to cut slots in the cylinders, horrible squeaking noises.

I am also amazed at how rusty some of these trucks are coming back, big holes rotted through the box floors. I kind of wonder if they were exposed to acids or something to speed up the corrosion process. Some of the radiators just fall apart at the bottom of their cores, I can run my thumb through them, odd stuff you see sometimes. It sure would be a disappointment to buy one of those expecting to drive it home. Members here are always preaching to preview, I say that is good advice! We buy for iron, so we get the ugly stuff.... Had some nice looking trucks come in out of these 42 that were in very bad mechanical condition.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glenn, Got any that happen to have a transfer case with PTO? I really need a 900 series transfer and PTO. I can bring my old one (m39 series, so it's bigger) for trade bait.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
davesgmc and I went out to Riley and got the rest of my FMTV cbc mount kits which only saving grace was there was over 1,000 lbs of clean Aluminum, so off to BFR to scrap it.
Checked in with Glen and went to the south military yard to to strip the kits.
Glen and the yard guys have been busy getting that lot cleaned up to keep all the military runners and parts truck. There are mountains of 900 beds stacked at least 6 high 900 and 800 frames stacked 5 high, parts trucks and runners in rows, beds of HMMWV, 9.00X20 11.00X20 and 14X200 tires on rims, and trailer loads of covers under cover on the north end.
He has also gotten some of the "save" trucks out of the way and up against the east fence, including an 800 cab I need to get back out and get for my truck tractor transplant.
With all the scrap I brought out there it was a first were I left with some of Glen's money plus Dave and I got some nice nick nacks for our trucks.
Also noticed that there are a few USMC 900's that had just came in with the ISO beds and lockers, didn't get pic's of them or the runners.
Best part we got to spend some time just visiting with Glen as the line of scrappers that are usually there weren't. Well worth the 3 hour drive out there as always!:D

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was pulling a M101A2 out to western Ks and stopped in Junction City at the Wallyworld to get some stuff and noticed one of the trailer wheels had a little smoke! Jacked it up and the wheel fell off, the outer bearing had fragged and took out a brake shoe also. Not having a hand held device to find part numbers, I thought BFR is only 40 mins down the road, so off I go. Checked in with Glen and 20 mins later I was off with a take off hub with good bearings, a quick stop at Menard's for wheel bearing grease, brake cleaner and paper shop towels then back to Junktown to make the repairs. Also got a pair of Gamma Goat lenes and spare for the trailer.
A big thank you to Glen!

91W350

BFR will be closed Thursday through Sunday for Thanksgiving next week. I actually have some time off available, but my wife and son work retail, so they have to work. I will be available throughout the weekend for anybody who wants to come pull parts, might even grill you something on one of the Green Mountain Grills..... Anyway, if anybody wants to come down for a guided tour, wants to drive a M923 or M915 before buying one, or just wants to pull some parts.... or just be social... come on down! I am hoping to get some more clean up done and to get some parts pulled and stashed. We have a few semi trailers since I last posted and some more 923s. We should be able to pick up are BMY truck next week that should be available for parts. It is rough, missing engine components and I am sure destined for the graveyard. A 1991 model...

MWM.. it is always nice to see you. I still think that hub should have been covered under warranty... Glen

Flyingvan911

I will have to see what's going on at home. I would like to come grab some jerry can holders.

-And a turn signal guard for the front of a deuce. And anything else that might catch my eye.

Last edited:

davesgmc

I work nights now, gotta work saturday night, i believe i am off friday night so friday day might be doable. wife says I have to tote my son out with me, so I would just have to find room to bring him too.
If I could afford it I would love to drive ELMO out there. but the costs of fuel would be so high at this time.

Anyone else from KC area thinking about goin?
flying van? maybe we could car pool in your van?????

midwest, maybe we could still use small trailer and pull behind dave(flying van) van?

just realized,,that would be FOUR daves out there! we should get the rest of the Daves to go tooo!

91W350

Lots of 939 parts available...

I will have at least one and maybe two rubber tired loaders available, a cutting torch, a large air compressor and 1" impact wrench, misc tools..... might even have a big white dog running around to for the kid in all of to play with.

If there is interest in eating, I have two Green Mountain Grills available and will be glad to do a little cooking, maybe some boarding ladders and troops seats in a five ton... a few refreshments? I just hope that anybody who shows has a good time. Glen

91W350

I work nights now, gotta work saturday night, i believe i am off friday night so friday day might be doable. wife says I have to tote my son out with me, so I would just have to find room to bring him too.
If I could afford it I would love to drive ELMO out there. but the costs of fuel would be so high at this time.

Anyone else from KC area thinking about goin?
flying van? maybe we could car pool in your van?????

midwest, maybe we could still use small trailer and pull behind dave(flying van) van?

just realized,,that would be FOUR daves out there! we should get the rest of the Daves to go tooo!
How thirsty is Elmo? We have some fuel we pumped off of salvage trucks, we could fill up a celebrity like Elmo....

Last edited:

Wrench Wench

Hmmm. 9 1/4 hours and 600 miles west to Salina and BFR or 12 3/4 hours and 750 miles east to TNJ... Decisions, decisions.

I think as soon as I have $6k burning a hole in my pocket, I'll be out Glen's way looking for a running M809 or M939 series truck, a trailer and a bunch of goodies to haul home on them.

Flyingvan911

I am not sure that I can go yet but if I can, either Friday or Saturday would work. I would also be game to taking the van and pulling a trailer.

Since the yard is officially closed is it cash only or can you take a credit card?

91W350

I am not sure that I can go yet but if I can, either Friday or Saturday would work. I would also be game to taking the van and pulling a trailer.

Since the yard is officially closed is it cash only or can you take a credit card?
We were never set up to take a credit card, really not licensed as a retail business in the main yard, just the old yard which was formerly known as Hronek Salvage. If you really need to use a credit card, I think we can run it through Salina Power Sports, another of the businesses run by the corporation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks