• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking at going to Big Bend National Park towards the end of Oct beginning of Nov and caught a couple of trail ride videos by Jeep clubs. I thought that would be a pretty wild thing to do with a group of LMTVs. Some of the reasons are selfish in that I'd like to do this with a group and don't really want to be the "oddball" with the gigantic vehicle next to Jeeps, Nissans, Toyotas, etc and it would be nice if there were mechanical issues to have other experienced hands to help versus just me and a -10. My plan would be meeting up in San Antonio and taking Hwy 90 through Del Rio and over as the roads are a bit slower than trying to use I-10 with it's 80mph speed limits. I am totally flexible on timing as long as it's later in the year versus the next couple of months simply due to heat issues.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A trail ride with big mechanical horses sounds like a lot of fun! It could be a good operational training experience too.

Subscribed for future updates.

dsanderlmtv

I think the first weekend of November in the small town of Terlingua, Texas they have an annual chili cook-off. The entire region fills up with people and is quite fun from what I've heard. Terlingua is right next to Big Bend, kind of like the last or first stop depending on witch way you are going from the park. Just say'n

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woke up at 0100 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so spent several hours going through more locations at Big Bend. There are basically 3 types of roads in the Park: 1) Paved Roads - about 100 miles worth so no real issues with the type of vehicle you might bring 2) Improved Dirt Roads - basically just a graded gravel road that an average vehicle should make unless there are weather factors like heavy rain 3) Primitive Dirt Roads - 4x4 only and very good clearance at that.

One of the Improved Dirt Road trails is Dagger Flats which is a 14 mile round trip and goes through a forest of Giant Yuccas. Below is a video of the drive and it appears to have plenty of room for large trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJMwquBdIQ

One of the Primitive Dirt Roads is the Black Gap Road which is 8.5 miles but due to some of the ravines it might be a tad tight for bigger trucks but fine for CUCV and smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NhNMm6I-5A

And a Primitive Dirt Road that would probably be okay for LMTV and up is the Old Ore Road which is one of the longer routes at 26 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Op39TqkYZ4

The River Road is probably a bit long and a bit narrow in spots (56 miles) to be easily doable in bigger trucks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will 2nd that philosophy :)

Wish I still lived in AZ would try to make that run but too far for Missouri in the LMTV.
Just come down and join in the fun. I didn't mention earlier but this is a family type thing not just a bunch of MV guys hanging out. My wife is coming and I've had some interest in at least one other couple so bring the significant other, the kids, the grandparents, the neighbors, etc. Those who can't bring an MV can ride along with those that do. Heck, if I'm the only one I can get one more in the cab (other than the wife) and 10+ in the back. Of course that might get kind of bumpy on the washboards so bring a pillow :)

RAJ LMTV

Sounds like a good time Mark. I think my wife and I can do the trip. If there is anyone else in the DFW area or someone else coming thru maybe we could caravan the northern route and meet up with you in Big Bend. No point in driving the extra miles to go thru San Antonio for us.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we're looking at Oct 27-30th in case folks want to be home for Halloween. Oct 15th is a big motocross weekend and Nov 5th is the Terilingua Chili Cookoff so don't really want to deal with the crowds those weekends. Plus the fall Brent Mullins event is Oct 15.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have another member with a HMMWV that sounds like he's in. Guess we need to see if a Mod can change the title to South Central US Steel Soldiers Get Together.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the thread renamed and moved to Upcoming Events. To reiterate this is not limited to LMTVs but to anyone interested in going whether you bring a MV or not. There should be lots room in vehicles if anyone is interested in riding with someone else. Save the date.

richingalveston

I am in if I can get my 1009 on the road by then. And of course if I don't have a job. I am a general contractor and can only play when there is no work.

I am half way through my turbo add. With the work I have still to do It will be close but a big bend trip has been on my list for a long time.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark have you looked at the various campgrounds in the park? What area are you considering camping at?
I've never been there before so not sure what the best location would be but was thinking Chisos Basin would work. They have covered picnic tables and "bear boxes" to store food. The spots look plenty big enough for the larger trucks. I plan on pitching my tent in the back of the LMTV but if others were bringing campers or larger tents the spots look good for everything.

TexAndy

One thing to consider, the weather can be pretty variable in the park depending on elevation. Average temperature high for Big Bend I saw was about 80 for the month of October so I'd plan for 50s for the lows and upper 70s for the highs. In other words, very pleasant. Bring a jacket and a blanket, just in case.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to consider, the weather can be pretty variable in the park depending on elevation. Average temperature high for Big Bend I saw was about 80 for the month of October so I'd plan for 50s for the lows and upper 70s for the highs. In other words, very pleasant. Bring a jacket and a blanket, just in case.
Chisos Basin is at 5400' too so I'm guessing the nights might get a little chilly. No campfires are allowed but charcoal braziers are okay so we can huddle around those and cook smores :) Or I can bring one of my MKT burners. They put out quite a bit of heat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks