• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Block 211

wilber

I am in the process of installing a BBC in my 211. I was wondering what you big block owners are using for a radiator. Are you using the stock 211 radiator and do you have overheating problems? I have to install an electric fan because of the offset waterpump on the tall block.

Gunfreak is your truck running? I have been reading your posts and wondered how you were doing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think if you were to have the radiator boiled/rodded or ultra-sounded it would do just fine. Which BBC? I am putting one in my m725.

Gunfreak25

I should be getting my truck very soon. He just needs to plop the battery back in and get the bolts for the bed back in place. I already have a shipper lined up and am hoping to have it home on the 25th or 26th. I am trying to be patient! My truck is in running condition but without power brakes, turn signals or working gauges I won't be taking it far. Maybe around the block a few times when it arrives.

Whomever did the re power on my truck knew what he was doing. They basically gutted an entire 1972-72 Oldsmobile Delta 88 and installed it all in my 211. Radiator, generator and regulator, 455 Rocket engine and turbo 400 with a B&M floor shifter in place of the 211 shift tower. I have lots of plans for the truck to get it looking original again from the "outside" though.

I can answer your questions a lot easier if I knew what your exact plans for the truck were. Will it be an asphalt queen, heavy hauler or off roading vehicle? Daily driver (mine will be!)?
Are you keeping the stock Hydramatic or going with a new tranny? Do you absolutely need low range, 6 wheel drive power, on board air for the brakes and other things? Give me your plans and I can be of better help. :beer:

YkDave

sounds like a fun little project, it would be nice to have a bit more grunt under the hood, not to mention a person might even pick up a bit of mileage with a bigger engine!

Ive been mulling this over myself, what i would like to do is stuff a 4BTAA4.5 under the hood with an allison 3700sp behind it. An air pump could be driven off of the engine geartrain, or off of the allisons PTO to retain the factory air setup.

But, its not like a guy can come across a decently priced 4b-3.9 all the time, let alone a 4.5, so chances are i would likely end up doing a bigblock chebby swap. But i would still like to go with a nice auto (like the a3700! but its a beast!) or even an NV4500 (i think rowing gears in this thing would suck LOL) then a guy can PTO drive the air pump so you dont have to worry about jamming it somewhere in the engine bay

Gunfreak25

You do significantly better mileage with the 455 than the 302. LOTS of power and it doesn't need to be worked nearly as hard as the 302 to get the big girl moving. Member 69Olds here has his M211 powered by an early 68 455 Rocket with J heads, th400, stock Rochester Qjet and an Edelbrock performance intake. I talked to him on the phone (great guy) and he swore by 12MPG on the highway, he didn't even have to drop a prop shaft on either rear axle to get that mileage. He loaded his with 15,000lbs of gravel too and it pulled hills like nothing. He said he even smoked all 10 tires at Mcdonalds. :beer:

Personally, If I had an M211 that was all original and in perfect running condition I'd leave it be. But, If I had a 211 that has already been modified (like mine) or was in non running condition, I think a 211 powered by a CUCV power plant would be SWEEEEEET. [thumbzup]

The CUCV's have GM 6.2L V8 diesels in them with turbo 400's, everything is already 24V too. It would be a pretty easy and relatively inexpensive swap. Keeping with tradition your truck would still technically have a Hydramatic (albeit a better one) not to mention genuine Military truck parts.

If you shop around you could probably find a complete CUCV power plant for about $1000. Heck, I already have a th400 in mine..... I might just do this same swap if someone locally wanted to trade a good diesel engine for my 455 torque monster. I think diesel smells better, sounds better, I bet you'd get better mileage, with a few simple mods you can use cheap (free here) veggie oil too. The 6.2 would offer more power than the 302 but wouldn't be serious overkill either.

I need to stop thinking about new projects........:roll:

Last edited:

YkDave

personally not a fan at all of the 6.2 (or 6.5) engine, nothing but big ol turds IMO...

Yes its got some power over the ol 302, but i wouldnt expect the mileage to skyrocket, those engines never did get great fuel economy unless it was in a unloaded pickup truck being granny driven.

If anything, to go through the hassle and added weight of dropping a diesel in there, i would never use an IDI engine!

wilber

Thanks for the input. I am putting a 366 in with a Clark 5 speed. I had the drivetrain in a Chevy dumptruck so I am swapping everything into the 211. After I get the engine and tranny hooked up I will start on the dump bed. I am going to try the stock radiator. I don't plan to use this as a daily driver, just as a gravel getter sometimes.

As far as brakes, I swapped the Chevy powerbrake setup in when I was hanging the clutch. I started the motor this weekend to see if I had destroyed anything when putting it in and it started ok. I still need to have a driveshaft made. Seems like this project has gone on forever.

I know how you feel about projects, seems like I always have one brewing on the list and fifteen in the works.

Gunfreak25

Sounds like a great setup!! In fact, one of the common conversions back in the day of cheap 211's was to drop in a complete drivetrain from the old (not so old then) CCKW's. The 2 speed transfer cases also insured you retained a low range.

How easy was it setting up the hydravac on your 211? Sounds like you took everything from an old C60 dumper? I myself may be going the vacuum assist route if I cannot (cheaply anyway) get the 211 compressor mounted on my BB.

wilber

I had to cut out part of the firewall and I think I will have to adjust the pedal length, but all in all the brake wasn't that bad. I had a bad airpack on mine, so rather than build a mount for the air compressor, I just went with what I had.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks