• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big cam III in a 5ton?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: engine swap questions

5 1/2 in. bore x 6 in stroke. A 2100 governed engine will trun 2500 rpm at high idle, no/low load. They will run at 2400 rpm, but the only thing you'll get besides 9 mph more is real bad mileage. I have had vehicles on the dyno with 855s in them that turned 3000 + rpm. They get real quiet at around 2700!

Bigmillman

Sorry. I have to agree with the others. Don't mess with a good thing. If you are truelly trying to do more, maybe a different truck is in order. I would hate to see you munch up your pocketbook when you might be better off expanding your fleet by one.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

For higher road speed and more out of the box power options, you could go with a 939A2. With that series you get an 8.3CTA, which already has power parts for sale on the net including bigger injectors and fuel plates. TST makes some power items for them. You also get straight air brakes and that would be a huge plus with the increased road speed and weight. They will run 65 MPH all day with the 14R20 super singles. The big tires and CTIS (IF it works) would be a plus in the sand. My CTIS worked just fine and would air the tires down to 10 PSI in SAND mode. I was definitely in the minority to have a functional CTIS though. Even a 939A1 truck would be an improvement. The Allsion 5-spd auto does a much better job of keeping the NHC250 in its power-band. No big jump between 3rd and 4th any more!

madsam

I have a question for anyone who has seen these engines blow? what is the top 5 failures one of these 855s go boom? Is is piston melt down, or rod failure or valve issues?

Bulldog06

How close are the engine mounts if you replace the Cummins 250 small cam in the M813's with a 855 big cam. I reviewed the above notes but did not see a response from anyone that had actually made this swap.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A governor is your friend, not a 'flexible' device to sate your 'instant gratification' desires.

Don't monkey with it.

The only time they will let you down is going downhill in a gear that seriously overspeeds your engine and the result will usually catch up to you quickly.

Dennis

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How close are the engine mounts if you replace the Cummins 250 small cam in the M813's with a 855 big cam. I reviewed the above notes but did not see a response from anyone that had actually made this swap.
You need to cut the cross member and weld in a flat piece of metal for the big cam mount to sit on top of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks