• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Dumb Trailer ...more pics

Unforgiven

I think powering the trailer will be far more trouble than it's worth. Landrover made a version of the 101" FC vehicles with a powered trailer that didn't work well. It was VERY good at rolling the Landrover over. You're going to have several issues with the angle's you can allow it to pivot too, shaft extension distance,

See here for some more info on the LR 101 Powered trailer.
Rubery Owen Powered Trailer for Land Rover 101
Land Rover FAQ: Part IV, 101" Forward Control: Power Trailer

Rubery Owen Powered Trailer for Land Rover 101
If the combination is jack knifed, the trailer can exert a strong side-ways push on the 101 at a height of nearly three feet and this can be sufficient to roll the latter in some conditions.
I think it was only during jackknifing that rollover was a problem.

An easy solution would be to install safety switches on the bumperettes. Have them trigger a pneumatic piston that disengages the driveline via a throwout bearing. That way jackknifing would automatically disengage the power to the trailer. Once straightened it would engage again automatically.

spicergear

Hey Fellas,

The Big Dumb Trailer Project (BDTP)has pretty much stayed in the same shape for the last year or so. I figured out how to drive the trailer but was coming increasingly concerned about the pinion strength in the rear most rear axle that would be doing all the trailer driving. The trailer has been used a few times for heavy hauls and performed really, REALLY well. One of the best times it has been used was when I hosted a large paintball game at the farm and had 24 weekend warriors attend. Loaded up my hot stock winch truck with a dozen and gear...and loaded up the BDTP with the same and rolled down the property. :beer:
I've also been working away on different little project on my Unimog 406. I'll have to get my pics all together and put a post on the Unimog section.

Unforgiven

I figured out how to drive the trailer but was coming increasingly concerned about the pinion strength in the rear most rear axle that would be doing all the trailer driving.

Spicergear,

Could you elaborate on this? Did you put a driveline from the truck to the trailer? Did you have problems with the trailer power-pushing the truck? Thanks.

spicergear

I kept the trailer with stock, fully loaded deuce axles just in case I may want to power it at some point. I thought with the weight of the trailer and the traction it would have...it would be nice to have that be able to help out especially in the soft stuff. Imagine five drive axles and two 12' beds being able to be loaded and moving? I did figure out how to make it work with a CV style joint under the pintle hook but started into some other projects and decided to let that go for the now. I also was thinking, after seeing a transmission output shaft snapped off of a 3053A spicer, how much stress would that be putting on the rear tandems rear facing output yoke/pinion shaft? It wouldn't be much as long as everything was pulling fairly evenly but it the truck would hit some really soft stuff wit the trailer still having 8 tires of traction...I may guess that to be the weak point. Oh, with the truck and trailer on 900x 20's I wouldn't see why there would be any push of the trailer.

It's still not out of the question someday...but my stock winch deuce truck may get a tire upgrade which would throw off the drive ratio.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks