• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Push of CUCV's now very few ...

Somemedic

Clean ones Ive seen here in NW Indiana/ Chicagoland??? They were in an Auto trader on a car lot. 6 or 7 in the past few weeks. Theyve been advertised on Craigslst, some 1008's with camper caps in different paint scemes and some blazers.

CPAPPY

Price increase from last year about 15-20% more , most I have looked at are beat to death. Although one M1028 at Wright Patterson was nice that sold last week.

lilymonster

Wow, I hope you are right!

Thats great news. I sure hope you are right that there are big batches coming soon. That would be a lot of fun and certainly a great thing for the military vehicle enthusiast community. About two years ago or so I made a post in this thread stating how I was seeing decreasing quantities and suggesting that this downward trend would continue. Although it was refuted by CARNAC and other very knowledgeable contributers I was actually correct and indeed CUCVs have been offered in lower and lower quantities on GL, through GSA auctions, etc. In fact CUCV's offered at GSA auctions have all but completely ended. I think I can count on one hand the number of cucv's I have seen through GSA in the past 12 months. The other thing is the QUALITY of what has been available has just sank and sank and SANK, which I also predicted. If you have been looking for a real nice CUCV on GL you know what I'm talking about.....

I sure hope you are right about things picking up.... What are you basing your statement on? Where are these units coming from and when are we likely to see them? Is this based on a hunch or factual information. In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you are right and that we see those plenty more VERY VERY nice CUCV's that are supposedly left and on their way to us! ;)

ajsmith184

Still plenty out there. In about another year you will see another HUGE crop of them again.

Just curious, not questioning your integrity here..But how do you know? Are the ones still to come out of service in worse or better shape then what has been coming out already? I bought a cucv this spring..At the time there were none, recently or even since, that seemed even remotely decent of GL....Maybe I have just missed it, I dont know..It seems most of the good ones were purged 2-3 years ago...

AJMBLAZER

I'd like to see proof of it. When I got mine in 2006 the surplus place I bought it from was complaining that they were drying up due to the military keeping every half way decent one they had and only getting rid of the FUBAR ones. It only got worse since then.

The stuff that's still in service has lots of use and is now 25+ years old. I know they were popular around base in Iraq and the ones I've seen pics of were pretty "Well used".
Don't think there'll be too many more.

WARWAG

Still plenty out there. In about another year you will see another HUGE crop of them again.

I see them all over on bases. Yes they are getting "OLD" but I believe in the next year or so there will be the next big push to replace there older stock with the newer stuff. Then it will be CUCV IIs.

The only problems I have seen lately with the CUCVs is how they are now being moved around in the lots. Ive seen them use HUGE fork lifts and come running up a bumpy dirt road with the truck just bouncing on the forks and drop it off in front of a guy. I looked up undernieth and showed him what they just did to his drive line and Tcase not to mention the side of his truck. The young GL employee said it was like that before he picked it up. Then he proceeded to tell me he was going to bring me my trailer/gen set the same way. "NO YOU ARE NOT" Tell me where it is and I will pick it up"! He told me and I had no problems. This seems to be the fad that has gone around through out the GL employees since ist MUCH FASTER to organize the vehicle,trailers ect ect and to deliver them to you. Another member here asked me to check his 2 trucks out since I had bid on both of those trucks I already had saved the pics (which you need to do so you can show proof HOW the truck wasnt beat to death when you bid on it) His trucks had also been "kissed" by the big fork lifts and were even spilling the Tcases life blood onto the ground. I looked at the pics and there was NO DAMAGE on the sides. In this case both were severely damaged cosmetically as well as the drive train. I havent bid on 95% of the trucks because of this damage you can see on most CUCVs now. If there sides are dented you can just count on the drive shaft being ruined and the Tcase cracked and possibly the transmission as well. This business of moving vehicles and everything else under the sun with Fork lifts needs to stop. Just becarefull of what you bid on and really look at the pics. ANY side damage and you should just pass on it.

Last edited:

MichiganMudder

Ive been looking into purchasing a cucv for a year or so. I was planning on buying one this summer, but they definitely seem limited. (in my area anyway). Do you guys believe I would be better off waiting till next summer?

WARWAG

Ive been looking into purchasing a cucv for a year or so. I was planning on buying one this summer, but they definitely seem limited. (in my area anyway). Do you guys believe I would be better off waiting till next summer?

When Im talking about CUCVs comming on the market again I dont mean at EVERY single base. I travel all over the US and you definately see diffrent bases over the years have big lots. Its hard to tell where the next big sale will be at. You never saw them In Nevada and then all of a sudden about two yeasr ago they had HUNDREDS for sale. Thats where I got my very nice M1028. They also had some very nice M1009s (hundreds of them). Then some dip **** at GL decided to orginize the lot of them and proceeded to break and bend almost every single drive shaft and T case out there. My truck was spared because they were actually using it to drive around the base while he was there. I didnt complain because they swapped in new batteries and such and it wasnt fork lift bashed. I was pretty shocked at what they did to the other vehicles though. I was there earlier to pick up a trailer and also walked around looking at all the CUCVs. Yah they really screwed a bunch of auction winners on that deal. I personally wouldnt accept a destroyed vehicle if it didnt match the picture I was bidding on......... Not so much that the "Beaters" are hitting the market. Its what they are doing to them once they get ahold of them. **** Barstow is the absolut worst when it comes this. They even use fork lifts to unload the CUCVs off of the flat bed semis that bring them in! They have a concrete enclosed earthen ramp that they could just back up to and drive the trucks off. They then proceed to haul them at top speed bouncing up and down across the base to drop them off in an area. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

You don't want to buy a CUCV from any unit based in Michigan. Infamous for being rust buckets.

I thought the military didn't buy many CUCV II's. A member on here bought a non-working one several years ago and everyone spoke about it like it was a rare prototype. I know I never saw any in the late 90's. Hardly saw CUCV's.

ajsmith184

They are around in Michigan, just have to look.I got a rust free M1009 for $4200 this spring with new BFG MTs on it....FWIW dont worry about where its from, so long as it doesnt have rust...I got mine here in Michigan, but the unit markings indicate Camp Atterbury in Indiana...So it has spent time in the rustbelt...Just not much obviously. If you come across any on this side of the state let me know and I will try to go take a look.

wired1000

So after the CUCV's are gone... what's next? I heard there weren't too many CUCV-II's... so when will they start unloading the humvees? I love my M1009 to death, but if I saw a humvee for sale for only a couple grand I'd be willing to expand my personal fleet...

ryan77

So after the CUCV's are gone... what's next? I heard there weren't too many CUCV-II's... so when will they start unloading the humvees? I love my M1009 to death, but if I saw a humvee for sale for only a couple grand I'd be willing to expand my personal fleet...

You wont see the Hummer for sale on gl! Maybe pieces of them. And a decent one go's in the mid 30,000 range!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks